gwestbrook

I drove my mom out to Ft Stockton in West Texas over the weekend to visit her sister and since that placed me in close proximity to some Borracho Formation exposures (Levinson and San Martine members) I headed west on I-10 early Saturday morning for a day of perusing the road cuts out to about 90 miles west of Ft Stockton. My first stop was a San Martine Member exposure which I’ll detail in a later post. The last two cuts were Levinson member exposures.  I found these fossils in those two cuts. Not sure yet what they are but I’ll post their identity once I’m clear on that.  They’re not all in great shape but I’m satisfied with my finds. I’ve posted before and after photos.

92A3279F-F7FB-4A61-A43D-603B9D9EC2AA.jpeg

Photo of the previous fossils after prep

0470CC64-1B35-429C-B6DB-237432DF3988.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

12 hours ago, gwestbrook said:

I kind of like the crushed echinoid as it speaks to it’s ancient origins.

92A3279F-F7FB-4A61-A43D-603B9D9EC2AA.jpeg

0470CC64-1B35-429C-B6DB-237432DF3988.jpeg

Nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Great finds!

Thanks for the report and pictures. 

Love the Nautiloid.  :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great finds!

Thanks for the report and pictures. 

Love the Nautiloid.  :wub: 

Thanks! Me too.

Sorry for the double post. Not sure how that happened.

This was a San Martine exposure along I-10. I found some stuff there as well. I'll post them once I've prepped them. 

I10 San Martine Exp1.jpg

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lovely finds and great prepping ! ! !:)

Thanks for sharing. 

Thank you! It was a shock to see that they turned out much better than I thought they would.  

20+ years ago I drove past those exposures along I-10 as I was moving from Arizona to Georgia.  Unfortunately I was pulling a U-Haul trailer, plus I had my non-fossil-hunting spouse, 3 kids, 4 dogs, and a cat in the jeep, and it was very hot out (mid-June), so needless to say stopping was out of the question.  I always wondered if those roadcuts had any fossils.  Now I know. :(

Don

9 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

20+ years ago I drove past those exposures along I-10 as I was moving from Arizona to Georgia.  Unfortunately I was pulling a U-Haul trailer, plus I had my non-fossil-hunting spouse, 3 kids, 4 dogs, and a cat in the jeep, and it was very hot out (mid-June), so needless to say stopping was out of the question.  I always wondered if those roadcuts had any fossils.  Now I know. :(

Don

They're pretty heavily hunted, but there are still some good ones to find. Just have to be patient and know you're not coming home with bags full.  Just a few. But, still it's fun. 

Nice finds! Good prep! Being a good samaratin to one's relatives can have its advantages. Business trips can also be of advantage if you can find a bit of spare time.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

VERY nice finds, gwestbrook!  In my mis-spent youth, I quite literally spent thousands of hours walking through trans-pecos exposures just like that (maybe even those)...but back in THOSE days, I was primarily looking for cacti and reptiles and not really paying much attention to old dead stuff!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

On 11/22/2017 at 1:28 AM, Fruitbat said:

VERY nice finds, gwestbrook!  In my mis-spent youth, I quite literally spent thousands of hours walking through trans-pecos exposures just like that (maybe even those)...but back in THOSE days, I was primarily looking for cacti and reptiles and not really paying much attention to old dead stuff!

-Joe

Thanks! I love that part of Texas. It's a little more dangerous than it was years ago. Especially in the last few years due to a lot of drug trafficking and other illegal stuff going on along I-10 and I-20. But, I will definitely go back again. 

On 11/22/2017 at 5:44 AM, Vieira said:

Nice finds :dinothumb:

Congratulations

Thank you!

On 11/22/2017 at 12:26 AM, Ludwigia said:

Nice finds! Good prep! Being a good samaratin to one's relatives can have its advantages. Business trips can also be of advantage if you can find a bit of spare time.

Thanks! I planned the trip and then told my mom I'd like her to go along so she could visit her sister. We both had a great time. :)

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2017 at 3:06 PM, FossilDAWG said:

Don

No telling what you might have found back in those days.  Fossil collecting was a much less popular endeavor back then. You might have found some very pristine specimens! :)