Whats is it?

Napoleon North

Hi

What is it?

Size: near 6 mm

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

I can't see too clearly, but could it be plant material? Some sort of cone perhaps?

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It's an interesting specimen.
I think, it can be easily extracted from the matrix. Try to make this and post some clear images from different angles.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

What I do not know is if the matrix is from a marine or land environment as I am not familiar with the area. The surrounding material looks as if it a fine sediment amidst some small stones with no intermediate sized material suggesting possible gastroliths. I am thinking to specimen is some type of coral as a guess.

Mike

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Could be. Roger @Ludwigia collects Cretaceous ammonites. 

Correction, John. The overwhelming majority of my ammonites are Jurassic. Therefore I'm not all that familiar with the cretaceous ones.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

"Zakrzówek Lake is located in the southern part of Kraków (50o 02’ 10”N, 19o 54’ 40”E, 213 m a.s.l), in the area of a small horst structure known as the “Skałki Twardowskiego”. The structure is comprised of Upper Jurassic limestone, which had been mined until 1991 for the needs of the soda works as well as marls for cement production. The deepest exploitation level reached a depth of about 60 m below the surface, which is about 30 m below the water level of the Vistula River flowing 600 m west from the quarry. The Vistula River was the main source of water in Zakrzówek [3]. The process of filling in the former quarry ended in 1997. Now, the lake area is 21 ha (Fig.1) with a maximum depth of 32 m. Due to the quarrying method, the borders of the quarry are almost vertical and rise up to 20 m above the water level. The lake has been artificially stocked with fish, which have not yet been studied." - J. Galas. 2003. Limnological Study on a Lake Formed in a Limestone Quarry (Kraków, Poland). I. Water Chemistry. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies Vol. 12, No. 3 : 297-300

5a15fe8624266_Fig.1.jpg.e01a5bbf791fff98293a007c8d7da7b7.jpg

Fig. 1. Map of Zakrzówek lake, x – sampling point.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

21 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Correction, John. The overwhelming majority of my ammonites are Jurassic. Therefore I'm not all that familiar with the cretaceous ones.

:rofl: I knew when I posted this I’d have a 50% chance of getting it wrong but I was sooo sure!

18 hours ago, abyssunder said:

"Zakrzówek Lake is located in the southern part of Kraków (50o 02’ 10”N, 19o 54’ 40”E, 213 m a.s.l), in the area of a small horst structure known as the “Skałki Twardowskiego”. The structure is comprised of Upper Jurassic limestone, which had been mined until 1991 for the needs of the soda works as well as marls for cement production. The deepest exploitation level reached a depth of about 60 m below the surface, which is about 30 m below the water level of the Vistula River flowing 600 m west from the quarry. The Vistula River was the main source of water in Zakrzówek [3]. The process of filling in the former quarry ended in 1997. Now, the lake area is 21 ha (Fig.1) with a maximum depth of 32 m. Due to the quarrying method, the borders of the quarry are almost vertical and rise up to 20 m above the water level. The lake has been artificially stocked with fish, which have not yet been studied." - J. Galas. 2003. Limnological Study on a Lake Formed in a Limestone Quarry (Kraków, Poland). I. Water Chemistry. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies Vol. 12, No. 3 : 297-300

5a15fe8624266_Fig.1.jpg.e01a5bbf791fff98293a007c8d7da7b7.jpg

Fig. 1. Map of Zakrzówek lake, x – sampling point.

Yes but it's Zakrzówek and not around

In the O.P. was written " Location: Skałki Twardowskiego, Kraków , Southern Poland  ", not around.

How do you know that the geological age of the sediments where the specimen was found is Turonian/Creataceous? Have you a vertical section of the formation revealing the stratigraphy of the location?

Thomas Mann

My Library

11 hours ago, abyssunder said:

In the O.P. was written " Location: Skałki Twardowskiego, Kraków , Southern Poland  ", not around.

How do you know that the geological age of the sediments where the specimen was found is Turonian/Creataceous? Have you a vertical section of the formation revealing the stratigraphy of the location?

Ptychodus tooth and other id fossil .New location is it... 

Have you extracted the specimen from the matrix?

Thomas Mann

My Library