Mysterious dinosaur vertebra

LiamL

I saw this vert online and liked it so bought it. The seller described it as Dinosaur partial vertebra, ?Iguanodon, from Wealden of Sussex, UK (Early Cretaceous)

Does anyone have any ideas what it is, or is the description correct since he was unsure?

Thank you :dinosmile:

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I expect it was listed as possibly Iguanodon because that is the most common dinosaur found in the Wealden, I understand. 

It's certainly possible based on size, but I couldn't say for sure. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That's what fossils are all about, if you like it's a super purchase. Nice size specimen really says dinosaurian

Agree with Tidgy' s assement.

Can you identify the orientation of you pictures.  End views might help.  Not sure we are going get any closer to an ID

• I found this Informative 1

I agree that it is labeled Iguanodon with a question mark because that is the most common dinosaur in those beds.  I see nothing in there that makes it ID-able to genus.  "Dinosaur" is as good a label as any.  

Most likely it is Iguanodontid, but from this piece it will not be possible to id it to species level, or i don't think even to a genus. 

There are so many and they are always being reclassified. 

Look at this, for example : https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-explosion-of-iguanodon-part-2-iguanodontians-of-the-hastings-group/

And it may even be a completely different type of dinosaur. 

I don't think you can get any more precise than dinosaur. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 11/17/2017 at 2:35 PM, LiamL said:

3.jpeg

What I'm seeing here is the dorso-anterior view of the neural arch. The two bumps on the bottom are the worn off prezygapophysis. The lateral processes are on the left and right. The dorsal spinous process is at the middle top. I'd say this looks like an anterior? dorsal vertebra.

Very nice vert.

Keeping in mind that this is the front view, side views might be helpful for ID.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

45 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

What I'm seeing here is the dorso-anterior view of the neural arch. The two bumps on the bottom are the worn off prezygapophysis. The lateral processes are on the left and right. The dorsal spinous process is at the middle top. I'd say this looks like an anterior? dorsal vertebra.

Very nice vert.

Keeping in mind that this is the front view, side views might be helpful for ID.

Here are pictures of the side and back view. Out of interest does anybody have an example of what this bone would look like in full?

side.jpeg

back.jpeg

Can you take end view pictures.  How wide is the vert?.  Looks a bit large for a dorsal of an Iggy but with the cellular nature of the bone I wonder if it could be a sauropod

20171119_093243.thumb.jpg.f9976bc76320ce62a811963f97b9c3a4.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 1 year later...

I know it's an old post, but i've added a video maybe it could help further an ID.             

I think all you can say its dinosaurian.  Not sure there is anything diagnostic to point it to any specific dinosaur.  Just because Iguanodon are common finds its misleading to infer it might be one