Real or Fake Spinosaurus tooth?

LiamL

Is this Spinosaurus tooth real or a replica? 5.5cm in length, from Morocco

Also what are all the weird crusty bits on the side of the tooth?

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I don't think I see any red flags so far, and the whitish crust in the side might be matrix that has not been removed.

I don't think think that common sized spinosaur teeth would be faked, because they are becoming exceedingly common in Morocco, and I think it probably would cost more to fabricate one than to simply dig a real one out.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 minute ago, Macrophyseter said:

I don't think I see any red flags so far, and the whitish crust in the side might be matrix that has not been removed.

I don't think think that common sized spinosaur teeth would be faked, because they are becoming exceedingly common in Morocco, and I think it probably would cost more to fabricate one than to simply dig a real one out.

Thank you, im going to use my Prepping Etcher to try and remove some.

It's definitely real and the matrix should  come off but work slowly, very fragile.   I'm intrigued with the curvature since Spinosaurid teeth are normally straight.  Please post pictures after your cleaning and we can have a more informed look.

27 minutes ago, Troodon said:

It's definitely real and the matrix should  come off but work slowly, very fragile.   I'm intrigued with the curvature since Spinosaurid teeth are normally straight.  Please post pictures after your cleaning and we can have a more informed look.

Should i wet it first to possibly make it loose?

I would work the bottom first with an xacto blade/dental pick to see how hard the matrix is.  May just flake off.  I see that the tip has a small Crack in it.  I would stabilize it first with some cyano type glue.

Due to the cracks in the tooth crown I'm thinking the curvature might be due to the fossilization process.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Archived