Utah Peronopsis/Agnostid trilobite ID

holdinghistory

I found a few lists of trilobite species from Utah, but am having trouble finding any information on telling the Agnostid species apart. Looking for some sort of papers, book, illustrations, pictures or something that can help me make sense of the differences between, say, Baltagnostus eurypyx, Itagnostus interstricta, Peronopsis interstricta, and etc.

Thanks!

Naimark, 2012 has the descriptions of many trilobites formerly in the genus Peronopsis.

Also, Naimark reclassified Peronopsis interstricta as Itagnostus interstrictus, so there isn't a difference between the two, as one is just the outdated name for the same bug.

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

My experience has been that many of the agnostid genera and species are hard to tell apart unless you have very well preserved specimens with the shell.  Internal molds and flattened specimens in shale are often very difficult to work with.

Don

@doushantuo almost always has an article. I’m constantly amazed by how resourceful he is or filled with resources. 

I know I have seen a resource on TFF like that before though. 

8 hours ago, holdinghistory said:

I found a few lists of trilobite species from Utah, but am having trouble finding any information on telling the Agnostid species apart. Looking for some sort of papers, book, illustrations, pictures or something that can help me make sense of the differences between, say, Baltagnostus eurypyx, Itagnostus interstricta, Peronopsis interstricta, and etc.

Thanks!

Not sure where in Utah you are looking but if it’s the Wheeler shale I believe only Itagnostus interstricta is found there.

Itagnostus is(I think)revised in this one

I've singled this one out,but I don't know why

OePIKPLATES

Oepiktext

Might als be present in Fruitbat's slightly underilluminated and underutilized LIBRARY 

edit:Piranha posted this one in 2015,i belatedly saw.Kudos to Scott,who  might just be the man to delve much deeper into this ,As Foosil pointed out

farbuchsnariistlanthc.jpg

8 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Not sure where in Utah you are looking but if it’s the Wheeler shale I believe only Itagnostus interstricta is found there.

I have quite a few Wheeler ones, and I know that Itagnostus is the species found there. I am trying to look at the area as a whole (Utah/Nevada area) to try and figure out the species differences, since most seem somewhat haphazardly labeled.

Archived