dalmayshun

I had mentioned recently iwas going to stop at the highway 1 roadcut north of st leon. Ive stopped before, but never fou d a trilobite there. Well a few hours ago it happened. I found a nice little one rolled up, about 1/2 inch. When i get it and the other things cleaned ill post them. However, i am showing what i think is a partial rolled trilobite, but compared to half incher, it is huge. I only had a quarter to put next  to it for size, if it were whole it would be 3 inches wide. Ive never heard of one that large from that location. Am i wrong, i think the left eye is showing, and part of tbe rolled pigidium, but the right half of the face is crushed, and the left portion beyond the eye is broken off. Neverthess i am reall excited

20171117_111632-picsay.jpg

20171117_111639-picsay.jpg

20171117_172643-picsay.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Excellent find from that locality!  That one is a monster compared to the little Flexicalymene you usually find there.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

I have witnessed someone finding an enrolled Isotelus at that same outcrop, however it was much smaller than the monster you found! Great find!

Awesome! My Favorite  type of trilo:trilo:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I have a small (~15-20mm wide) Isotelus roller from that cut. Came out of the "buuter shale" along with Flexis and crinoids.  All pretty small. But that cut has produced some amazing fossils and there is no reason to think a large Isotelus couldn't be found there. I have also found larger intact Flexicalymenes in the Whitewater above the well known Liberty "shales." The Richmond Group has an amazingly diverse fauna. You just have to be persistent. 

• I found this Informative 2

Nice find.  I've always enjoyed hunting that road cut.  

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Yes, when I get the other things cleaned, I'll post them also. I learn and discover something new each time I'm there. This time the washout gullies were productive