Id like your opinion on this one....

Arizona Chris

Hi  All,

This is one of a kind - we found only ONE of these in 250 pounds of Permian limestone that we reduced in the acid bath over the past few months.  Its a lovely thing, I think its a stellate miniature ins branching sponge, but Id like your opinion.  Its hollow inside the main tube, and no pits or chambers like a bryozoan.  Anyone seen a tiny sponge like this?  Here is top and bottom shots:  (20 layer stacks!)

Stellate1-15x-F.thumb.jpg.60494c895efa01a116ba98dfe8dc2a8c.jpg

Stellate2-15x-F.thumb.jpg.56ba4a7697af620d94c785f76a11ae5d.jpg

Your opinion is appreciated! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

I haven't seen any sponges like this before, but I can see it being one. I usually search the late Pennsylvanian and Permian parts of Eastern Kansas, and I would be interested to see if someone could put a good ID to this one. 

CD

some Pennsylvanian sponges

post-6808-0-16203900-1355257090.jpg

post-6808-0-67298300-1355219543.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Looks like sponge to me, also.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sponge seems most likely. My Ft. Apache Fm. sponge in collections is also hollow and branching. Does your sponge have a mesh look on the surface like the photo of mine?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Wow doushantuo, I had to look that one up!  What I found seems to indicate that an amphiporoid is a type of stromatoporoid - and most appear as non branching tubes or encrustations.  I think micro sponge seems to still fit the best.  But I will continue to examine more information on amphiporoids!  Great suggestion!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html