Ammonite prep advice

Crann

Hi, found a couple of nodules, thought this one had a small Ammonite in, went to remove a bit of the bulk and found a larger one insure, you think I best prep around the outside first to expose the entire Ammonite then work inwards or you think worth tapping to remove more bulk ? Thanks.

20171117_225402.jpg

20171117_225354.jpg

20171117_225350.jpg

5 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I would scribe down from the side. Will take more time but you’re less likely to damage the ammonites.

Ditto, although in the end it's up to you, Crann. I'd say you've got enough experience by now to make your own decisions.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

38 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Ditto, although in the end it's up to you, Crann. I'd say you've got enough experience by now to make your own decisions.

I was typing and thinking I know the answers .... think I was just excited to find a larger one inside, ha, thanks.

20171118_090003.jpg

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

But, clearly @Crann was being tempted to turn to the dark side of the force through the quick prep route. :P

1 hour ago, Crann said:

I want the chunk on the top removing so I have the front of the larger one showing then on the back the little one.

Keep it up. It’s looking good.

Im always afraid for someone when they use a chisel, but ive done it many times myself.  Looking farward to seeing this completed.

RB

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Im always afraid for someone when they use a chisel, but ive done it many times myself.  Looking farward to seeing this completed.

RB

Sometimes a chisel can create a very nice negative though... 

20171119_185102.jpg

3 hours ago, Crann said:

A chisel can also save one heck of a lot of time too!!!  Depends on the fossil?

RB

7 minutes ago, RJB said:

A chisel can also save one heck of a lot of time too!!!  Depends on the fossil?

RB

Totally, these new finds much softer.

On 19/11/2017 at 6:57 PM, Crann said:

Indeed. Send me the ammos you keep the negs. I’ll pay the shipping as that’s only fair :rofl:

Archived