Heartbreaker Petalodont

Bullsnake

But still cool in my book!

Earlier this year I found this petalodont tooth in the Spring Hill limestone. Being only the second one I've found, I excitedly plucked the chunk of matrix from the surrounding rock.

I had previously (about a month earlier) found the tip of a crown in the underlying Hickory creek shale.

This one was a bit bigger and after getting it home I scrutinized it with the loupe. There were more fragments visible throughout the rock.

I'd been debating since then whether to try to remove the pieces and puzzle them together, or leave it as is.

The other night I got bold and decided to try to remove some matrix to see if I could piece the fragments together. Luckily I worked at prying larger chunks rather than digging out the tiny pieces of crown. Now, the matrix is rather friable so I've been careful to retain every minute particle that crumbled off.

After removing one large chunk and a few smaller ones, the whole thing stared me in the face!

A clearly visible mold/outline and actual material of the entire crown and root.

As implied in the title of the post it's not perfect, nor even a great specimen, but the ghost of the weapon of this ancient creature is apparent!

In-situ shot with loupe as scale:

18342636_1788194714530712_7498434665594142954_ne.thumb.jpg.0e81d8d3749ab219bdd9fe54b2bdcc5f.jpg

Semi-prepped- Crown width = ~1.75 inch:

IMG_0837.thumb.jpg.c40b5c68c7dc1c8b53e121753d73f1c5.jpg

Steve

That's pretty cool Steve!

I'd be pretty pleased with that find. :) 

Thanks for showing us.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Beauty! Congrats.

Do you have an air abrasion kit? 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

36 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

That is wonderful ! 

great find. 

22 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

That's pretty cool Steve!

I'd be pretty pleased with that find. :) 

Thanks for showing us.  

16 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice find, but where are the final pictures?

11 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

Beauty! Congrats.

Do you have an air abrasion kit? 

Thank you, guys!

I think that might be it for any further prep. Any more would make it dust!

It's that fragile!

I'll just be happy with it and keep searching for a more stable one.

Steve

Nice! Gotta love those Paleozoic sharks!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived