Utah Ammonite Help

hnjosey

I found what appears to be a small (1 cm) ammonite in Green River, Utah back in 1993.  Anyone have any idea what genus it is?  I don't know the geologic horizon I found it in but looking at a geologic map of the San Rafael desert, it's probably Cretaceous. I do remember it's from the East bank of the Green River, near the Old Highway Elgin Road.  Matrix appears to be limestone if that helps (reacts vigorously to acid).  Thanks for the help.

Utah_Ammonite_1.jpg

Utah Ammonite 2.jpg

I think Foozil means the small spiral impression on the matrix. I can see what appears to be part of the outer whorls of an ammonite at the bottom, but it would take a magician with x-ray vision to be able to name a genus, let alone a species. The excess matrix would have to be removed before a guess would be possible. Even then, it appears to be a steinkern, which are not always easy to identify if the sculpture and form are not properly visible. I also have a feeling that it's not complete.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I would say it is most likely an ammonite, but it's impossible to identify a genus from this. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived