garyc

I almost tripped over this log today while out on the Brazos River. So my question is...Is there a way to differentiate mammoth femur from mastodon femur. I can post more pics after I clean it up a bit. Right now all I know is that it weighs 52lbs, 17 inches wide and 30 inches long. It was fun carrying up the bank and back to my car. And wondering if I would dive in after it if I swamped the kayak on the trip back.....

femur.jpg

femur2.jpg

Well that is quite the find, I’d put the green with envy emoticon except I don’t know where I’d put it if I’d found one:P

I don’t know if there is a way but maybe @Harry Pristis does.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Well that is quite the find, I’d put the green with envy emoticon except I don’t know where I’d put it if I’d found one:P

I don’t know if there is a way but maybe @Harry Pristis does.

The taxa may be differentiated.  Clean out the foramina and photograph them and any remaining muscle attachments.  Not real close-ups, but close enough to still locate these features on the bone.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Awesome find, Gary! Well done, sir.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wow, that's really big! Congrats for the find! :bone::)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@Harry Pristis, here are some more pics. I hope they show what you're looking for. I can clean it up a little more too if needed, but that algae is a little stubborn. I think it may clean up easier when the algae dries up. 

DSCN0076.JPG

DSCN0075.JPG

DSCN0077.JPG

DSCN0078.JPG

Thanks for all the kudos, everyone!!!!

Yeah, I'd call that "kinda big". Lol

Nice piece!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

5 minutes ago, old bones said:

My favorite Pleistocene mammal

I’m going to tell mastodon you said that, it will not be happy:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Excellent find Gary...what a monster!:fistbump:like the new avatar :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

1 hour ago, old bones said:

That is a wonderful find! My favorite Pleistocene mammal.  Congratulations. :envy:

11 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

Excellent find Gary...what a monster!:fistbump:like the new avatar :)

Sloth is actually my favorite but I really enjoy finding anything that is not around anymore. 

Thanks, Jeff! Glad you noticed the new avatar.

Not something you trip over everyday.

These don't last very long while tumbling down the river.

Take a good long look up river a ways it may prove to be a fruitful effort.

If you do find more, what the heck would you do with it other than donate.

Jess B.

Wow....that was a big-boned animal...

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Nice find.  I was out on the Brazos Friday and was surprised how much mud there was after the Harvey flood.  I think I understand how you could trip over your find without seeing it.

45 minutes ago, fossilus said:

Nice find.  I was out on the Brazos Friday and was surprised how much mud there was after the Harvey flood.  I think I understand how you could trip over your find without seeing it.

Hey neighbor! Did you find anything? Post some pics.

I did find a chunk of proboscidean pelvis (15-20lbs wet?).  Maybe from your animal.  I don't have a decent photo right now.

So what’s the wifey have to say about displaying that one in the living room?  Mua ha ha!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Archived