Most characteristic fossil of Austria

FranzBernhard

Hello,

don´t know if this is the right forum, please feel free to move it.

However, I would like to ask you, what do you think (in your personal opinion) is the most characteristic fossil or fossil group of Austria, this realy small country in central Europe, containing fossiliferous strata from the Ordivician to the Pleistocene.

You can give also second or third choices, of course.

Btw, if you have also an opinion about the most characteristic Austrian mineral, rock and mineralic raw material ("ore"), please let me know.

Thank you very much for your participation!
Franz Bernhard

Hi!

As a compatriot of you is my duty to answer you.;)

I vote for the Triassic ammonoid Austrotrachyceras austriacum (MOJS)

because;

first, Austria is double named in it and 

second, it was a crucial step in palaeontology when in the 19th century(1840's) Austrian palaeontologists recognised that the Triassic stage and marine fauna is much more diverse than the prior to that  known German Triassic(=Buntsandstein, Muschelkalk and Keuper = three stages, therefore the name Triassic)

Austrotrachyceras austriacum (MOJS).png

• I found this Informative 2

Topic moved to the "Questions and Answers" Forum. . ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

For mineral, I would vote for Wulfenite.

This is because Bleiberg, Carinthia, Austria is the type locality for this lovely mineral. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

andreas and Tidgy´s Dad,

thank you for your votes!

Andreas, thats an absolutely new piece of information for me, thank you very much!

Franz Bernhard

I would have brought Andreas' attention to this topic if he hadn't already found it.... and he gave a great answer.

There is an ammonite named for Canada too: Canadoceras - but it's not exactly the most characteristic fossil of Canada, only occurring in the Upper Cretaceous of Vancouver Island and neighboring islands here on the West Coast! (as far as I know)

I wonder what other fossils are named for countries... I know lots of fossils are named for lower-order/obscure locations. Another topic, maybe.

I know nothing about Austrian fossils (wish I knew more) but that Triassic ammonite is beautiful.  

Niger also has an ammonite named after it... Nigeroceras, I think is the correct spelling. 

Hi,

In Austria there is big garnets, the biggest which I was able to see ! They measure several centimeters but I don't know where from exactly they come.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 11/18/2017 at 10:04 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Hello,

don´t know if this is the right forum, please feel free to move it.

However, I would like to ask you, what do you think (in your personal opinion) is the most characteristic fossil or fossil group of Austria, this realy small country in central Europe, containing fossiliferous strata from the Ordivician to the Pleistocene.

You can give also second or third choices, of course.

Btw, if you have also an opinion about the most characteristic Austrian mineral, rock and mineralic raw material ("ore"), please let me know.

Thank you very much for your participation!
Franz Bernhard

When I started collecting fossils in the late 80's Austria was famous among collectors for its cave bear fossils - Mixnitz area.  Even then, cave bear remains where known from various parts of Europe, but they were especially plentiful from Austria.  A friend who passed away several years ago was from Austria.  He always spoke proudly of the range of fossils that could be found there.

Hi, 

found another fossil in my collection with regards to Austria. The former name was Rhynchonella dilatata SUESS. Now it is Austriellula dilatata (SUESS).

The shown specimen is from a location of middle Ladinian age. Size is 12mm.

On 27.11.2017 at 8:00 AM, siteseer said:

When I started collecting fossils in the late 80's Austria was famous among collectors for its cave bear fossils - Mixnitz area.  Even then, cave bear remains where known from various parts of Europe, but they were especially plentiful from Austria.  A friend who passed away several years ago was from Austria.  He always spoke proudly of the range of fossils that could be found there.

Rules and law has changed a lot within time. 

Austriellula dilatata (SUESS, 1855) ..JPG

Austriellula dilatata (SUESS, 1855)..JPG

Austriellula dilatata (SUESS, 1855).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

As a fossil collect living in Austria I would say that the Ammonite is the most characteristic fossil from Austria. Austria has many Cave bears but you are not allowed to "dig" them anymore. But they are being sold at every gem show in Austria.

Thanks, Andreas for your second choice. And thank you, Baryonyx, for your opinion.

Now I have also several opinions from non-fossil-guys, and the winner is clear:

Triassic ammonoids, best represented by the species suggested by andreas, with 7 "gold medals".

Other fossils, but far behind the ammonoids, were Triassic megalodontids ("Dachsteinmuscheln"), cave bears, various miocene moluscs, each of them with one "gold medal".

I was surprised by the low rank of the upper cretaceous Trochactaeon, with only two "silver medals".

Concerning minerals, the picture is not so clear:

Quarz (rock crystal) - 4, Wulfenit-2, Epidote-2, Garnet-2, Aragonite (floss ferri) - 2, Emerald-1 (numbers are "gold medals").

rocks:
Limestone (especially upper Triassic "Dachsteinkalk), gneis, eclogite.

raw material:

Siderite and magnesite are clear winners.

Thank you very much for your contributions!
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1