T-Rex toenail?

Prey4Me

they don't chip or break with a rotary hammer and they make a high pitched ping sound when hit with a sledge and chisel, wire brush on a drill polishes them

I  have more pictures and more pieces but it won't let me upload more regardless of size.

I'll just try a different thread on a different piece. Since I started this off with the most controversial items I have. Lets keep it rolling with the Dino egg question. Lol:rofl:

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm not totally questioning your authority, only slightly. I haven't had a good debate in a long time! 

7 minutes ago, Prey4Me said:

I  have more pictures and more pieces but it won't let me upload more regardless of size.

I'll just try a different thread on a different piece. Since I started this off with the most controversial items I have. Lets keep it rolling with the Dino egg question. Lol:rofl:

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm not totally questioning your authority, only slightly. I haven't had a good debate in a long time! 

What's this have to do with authority, it's about understanding paleontology and geology 

30 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I think they are more like smashed shells of some sort. Fossils, but not veins in bone.

I'm sorry for not being clear. I meant my rocks have holes for veins.

One picture has a Gastropod (snail) fossil in it, cross sectioned as well, nice find.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

What's this have to do with authority, it's about understanding paleontology and geology 

Well isn't it obvious? The more you understand, the more authority you have.

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

One picture has a Gastropod (snail) fossil in it, cross sectioned as well, nice find.

That was an example posted by a different member than the OP.

All of the pieces shown by @Prey4Me are of a silicified quartz sandstone that has been weathered into suggestive shapes.

There have been no animals I am aware of that had 15 inch teeth or "car" sized bones.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, Prey4Me said:

Well isn't it obvious? The more you understand, the more authority you have.

Well I have a very different understanding of the word authority.  What I do understand is that with knowledge comes a better comprehension of what is presented in front of us.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

That was an example posted by a different member than the OP.

All of the pieces shown by @Prey4Me are of a silicified quartz sandstone that has been weathered into suggestive shapes.

There have been no animals I am aware of that had 15 inch teeth or "car" sized bones.

Yeah I tried to edit it, not sure how visible the edit is. One animal with almost 15 inch teeth is livyatan Melvilli, not to be nit picky:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

You have posted items to be id'd here that are clearly just rocks. They have been identified as such by several very qualified people. This is not a debate and you're free to believe anything you like but that doesn't alter the fact that these are not dinosaur fossils.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

different understanding of the word authority. 

To be fair, I have heard of someone being an "authority in Their subject". Indicating a great knowledge of the subject.

The English language is confusing.:headscratch:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Authority=legitimacy in the eyes off others

in my view. But it’s semantics which I never fail to make a fool of myself over.

Happy hunting,

Mason

11 hours ago, Gizmo said:

You have posted items to be id'd here that are clearly just rocks. They have been identified as such by several very qualified people. This is not a debate and you're free to believe anything you like but that doesn't alter the fact that these are not dinosaur fossils.

Science is not about belief; it is about discoveries and about the methods by which those discoveries were made and tested.  And without having tested anything, you are not armed with any facts sir. The gentlemen have stated their thoughts on what these items are not. Which having seen the source of these items personally, and hearing the educated thoughts of those with experience on the subject, I for one become very curious to know what what they in fact ARE! 

Yeah @Dewbunny you already have me pegged. Everything with a pinched end is definitely worth a closer look. I'm glad you thought of it poo. :D

@Prey4Me, The fish shaped stone with the gastropod for an eye is a keeper. Sometimes pareidolia is better than fossils - IMHO.

@Prey4Me if it's facts you want then you need to take it to someone reputable and have it physically tested. From just a few pictures on the Internet all you can be given are beliefs and possibilities. This site isn't for actual confirmation but more as a guide in the right direction.

IMO. Take it or leave it.

I gotcha! I'm merely pointing out that I have actually done quite a bit of testing. On a hardness level, a wire wheel on a drill, turns sandstone onto a pile of sand as well as limestone. I mentioned already that the wire wheel polishes this material. I was looking for open minded scientific approach to solve a mystery. I will be a little disappointed if the curious mindset doesn't exist in this forum.

14 minutes ago, Dewbunny said:

@Prey4Me if it's facts you want then you need to take it to someone reputable and have it physically tested. From just a few pictures on the Internet all you can be given are beliefs and possibilities. This site isn't for actual confirmation but more as a guide in the right direction.

IMO. Take it or leave it.

I would feel I'm being sent in the right direction if those sending me are considering rather than ignoring the test results I already have. I truly do not mean disrespect. I just hoped it could be approached scientifically. I've been warned about bias confirmation, when I am looking for disconfirmation by testing. After testing, I start to think along the lines of the principal of parsimony and consilience.

I have been a part of this forum for about three years. The people here have taught me more than I could have ever imagined. They are about as open minded as you get. Many times we (those of us who post something) come in with preconceived notions of what we have. In order to learn, we have to let go of that and be open to the ideas of others. There is such a cumulative wealth of knowledge here, both professional and novice. Being wrong is part of learning. Trust me, the people here on the forum know bone and tooth material when they see it. While not an expert in bone and tooth material, I can tell by the lack of cellular structure you do not have bone. Holes can form under many conditions - boring clams and sponges are just a couple of examples.

26 minutes ago, Prey4Me said:

I would feel I'm being sent in the right direction if those sending me are considering rather than ignoring the test results I already have. I truly do not mean disrespect. I just hoped it could be approached scientifically. I've been warned about bias confirmation, when I am looking for disconfirmation by testing. After testing,

Keep in mind, the fossilization process is reliant on the minerals in which they are preserved. The hardness tests you are performing may tell you the minerals you are dealing with, but it doesn't tell you whether or not it is a fossil. For instance, some beautiful fossils have been found in chert, but not all chert is a fossil. Cell structure is how you can tell bone from other fossils. Hardness has nothing to do with it.

@Prey4Me Well, you would not be able to conclude that a particular mindset does not exist on the forum simply on the basis of how you interpret replies in one or two threads. That would be to commit a fallacy. Absolute statements are easiest to invalidate by locating just one counterexample. 

That aside, the advice so far provided is on the basis of comparison with known types of rock, and the geologic formation in which certain rocks are found. If there is a strong basis for comparison, we can at least reasonably assume that our experienced members who have a wealth of knowledge can say that something is closer to probability 1 or 0. 

You have been given a few opinions that it is silicified quartz sandstone. Do your tests confirm or deny this? Are your tests the right ones to do this? What has your research on the geologic formation and the silicified rocks told you thus far? 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived