T-Rex toenail?

Prey4Me

On 11/19/2017 at 3:13 PM, ynot said:

The English language is confusing.:headscratch:

Be glad you don't have to meddle with French! So many different tenses and conjugations... And it has one of the weirdest grammars too.

I also have the great pleasure to take Latin in school. Those Romans sure had a lot of free time to come up with "Irregular verbs" and then "Very Irregular verbs" :(:rofl: And for the standard verbs, there are 40 different ways in total to write each single one... :faint: (Needless to say that I am NOT looking forward to my Latin exam in December)

Maybe it being a dead language isn't so bad after all...

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Nice ammonites. Ammonites are my favorite fossil to collect.

I’m 4th generation Texas born. I’ve collected fossils around North Texas. I’ve also been on dino digs and found T-Rex bones and other species in Wyoming.

I see a lot of comments saying it’s a rock or it isn’t a bone. Maybe some pictures of bone may help.

This is a femur from an Edmontosaurus annectens I found in Wyoming. It’s about 40 inches long. There were T-Rex bones found nearby that look very similar. Many fossilized bones have this brown glossy appearance with some porosity to them usually seen at breaks, the ends or joints.C82536E8-D024-48F4-A9F0-120E27502E4A.thumb.jpeg.c530121289e53598f280f58b5d1a28d4.jpeg

These are mammoth bones found in Texas. The texture is very bone like in appearance. Again you can see the porous nature especially where the joints are or at the ends of the bones.

737C33AD-3007-44DC-93C5-AD6A7D49884E.jpeg.7404f8c5ef4968cceb434e0f1cf2e521.jpeg

There are some fossilized bones that get mineralized and take on a very different texture and appearance so that the porous nature isn’t visible. For instance I’ve seen bones that became opalized. If you haven’t seen them here on the Forum they are a must see.

• I found this Informative 2

Here are a couple more pics of fossilized bone. This is a mosasaur vertebra that I found in the North Sulfur River near Ladonia, TX. Again you can see the porous nature common in fossilized bones. There does appear to be a bit of mineralization, but it is in keeping with bone structure.  

08C032E7-2972-4626-85BC-CAAE6CDB35EC.jpeg

AAEEADD3-C584-41B4-B994-852BB29B9FF8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Still regularly cited in the osteological literature(freely available thru Biodiversity Heritage Library,BTW,or I wouldn't show this) :

bercofhimages.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:49 AM, Troodon said:

I think you are learning that everyone here, including myself, believe these are geologic in orgin and accepting other alternatives is not what you want to hear.

Add me to that list. But don't be discouraged, this is a great place to learn. We all had to start somewhere.

• I found this Informative 2

On 20.11.2017 at 1:48 PM, Prey4Me said:

These?

On 21.11.2017 at 7:41 AM, Boesse said:

4) Lastly, I'll place the burden of proof back on you where it rightfully belongs (since it's your hypothesis you're trying to support). What proof do you have that this is bone? What specific anatomical features tell you it is bone? Does it have a marrow cavity? Does it have primary/secondary osteons? What kind of bone is it, histologically speaking? Where are the classic surficial features indicating that it is in fact a bone (e.g. pores, foramina, articular surfaces, sutural surfaces, etc.)? Which bone in the body is it? Which species does it represent? What synapomorphies are obvious that lend themselves to your identification? Please answer these questions carefully for us. A well-articulated, informative, and thoughtful presentation of this information is the best way to propose a hypothesis like yours.  We all look forward to your answers to #4 and I guarantee all of us will listen to you without prejudice.

:popcorn:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 11/19/2017 at 4:38 AM, Prey4Me said:

Here is the structure up close they are all the same at varying levels of oxidation, The museum of science and history has some that are identical, here in Ft. Worth

20171119_035655.jpg

I can understand why you may have thought these were bones, until you posted this photo. I think this is infill with silicified fossil fragments. I don't know what creature or process may have formed the cavities that became infilled. I'm very interested to find out what local professionals have to say, after they 'hands on' examine these.

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs