11/17/17- protosphyraena fish bones from North Texas

John S.

So in August 2016 I stumbled upon some bones sticking out of a creek in north central Texas. I dug out a partial skull of a protosphyraena fish. I looked for more but this was all I found at the time.

Late Cretaceous

Atco Formation- Austin group

86-90 mya

AFE8E3D6-516D-423F-9B91-130CE89C7F35.jpeg

AFFE018F-0FC1-41F9-8335-B5BA9CE3FC12.jpeg

03CFCA08-4044-42F6-B358-02235150240B.jpeg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

I went back the other day and looked around and spotted more bones in the same spot. More skull bones/fins protruding..I’ll have to keep going back every now and then. 

77B831B7-D382-466F-A75E-881EA6C21303.jpeg

ED817FB3-8518-471C-B9D4-3164CE86DD10.jpeg

North Central Texas

That’s pretty cool. Sounds like it could become somewhat preoccupying. I’d want to keep going back and checking for more.

8 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

That’s pretty cool. Sounds like it could become somewhat preoccupying. I’d want to keep going back and checking for more.

No doubt but I find that the more things I discover the more patience I have. It just becomes a part of my rotation. Other locations keep me busy then I return every now and then

North Central Texas

Cool!

Ancient swordfish! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Awesome find, always thought those scary sword fish were cool!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Very nice! It is truly exciting to find additional material so long after the initial find!  I get the chance to collect once a year up in Western Kansas in the Niobrara chalk. Back in August of this year, I found a complete pectoral fin of Protosphyraena that was a little over 30 inches in length.  Up to now, I have not attempted to post pictures on this site. We will see how it works out this morning.  Dave 

IMG_2167.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

I recently completed my prep work on the fin and, for the first time, I used PVA. I am quite pleased with the results. Now, I need to construct a wooden display box and mount the plaster field jacket in a final bed of plaster.  Dave

IMG_2295.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Amazing rare finds, I've only seen Protosphyraena finds from Kansas, but of course if it's from Kansas, then it's also in Texas (Obviously not always true but still). Great job :hammer01::thumbsu:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

6 hours ago, Castle Rock said:

I recently completed my prep work on the fin and, for the first time, I used PVA. I am quite pleased with the results. Now, I need to construct a wooden display box and mount the plaster field jacket in a final bed of plaster.  Dave

IMG_2295.JPG

That’s amazing Dave:dinothumb:

2 hours ago, Xiphactinus said:

Nice!!!! Curious...you know more is there, why not excavate?

It’s tempting but the rest(if more) of it is buried pretty deep in the harder chalk. Nature will reveal what’s left at some point. 

North Central Texas