How to hunt at Popes Creek

Crazy Squirrel

I've never been to Popes Creek on the Maryland side and wondered how people hunt there.  Must you use a boat or can you drive and park there?  Google maps doesn't show any good areas to park as I have read to stay away from the restaurants.  Is it all private land?  Do folks hunt north or south of the restaurants?

14 minutes ago, Crazy Squirrel said:

I've never been to Popes Creek on the Maryland side and wondered how people hunt there.  Must you use a boat or can you drive and park there?  Google maps doesn't show any good areas to park as I have read to stay away from the restaurants.  Is it all private land?  Do folks hunt north or south of the restaurants?

There isn't anywhere to park in the neighborhood. They've put up No Parking and No Trespassing signs to keep the fossil hunters out. You can park at Aqualand Marina but you have to get across the creek some way, which is too wide and deep to walk across. I don't recommend parking at the restaurants, even in the off season.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Hello from a little west of you (Mount Airy) I’ve never been either, what woul you hope to find their, Nanjemoy FM or Aquia FM? Douglas point and purse state park despite being well known are still fossil rich and you’d probably be one of the few out there this time of year. As for the nanjemoy I haven’t found a easily accessible locale yet, gotta get out there on a boat to hunt for that.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 2 months later...
On 11/20/2017 at 9:18 PM, SailingAlongToo said:

There isn't anywhere to park in the neighborhood. They've put up No Parking and No Trespassing signs to keep the fossil hunters out. You can park at Aqualand Marina but you have to get across the creek some way, which is too wide and deep to walk across. I don't recommend parking at the restaurants, even in the off season.

Why not in the off-season? Do they still report even when they are shut down for the winter? I was in the area today and noticed two very large open parking lots by the restaurants and not a single no trespassing sign so I figured no harm done.

11 hours ago, Williamb55 said:

Why not in the off-season? Do they still report even when they are shut down for the winter? I was in the area today and noticed two very large open parking lots by the restaurants and not a single no trespassing sign so I figured no harm done.

There were signs a few weeks ago saying no tresspassing and Towing Enforced. There are definitely signs leading from both parking lots to the beaches. Going east from the lots you have to walk across private property to get to the beach. Going west you have to walk thru the yard of a house to get to the beach or take the path thru the vegetation. There are signs along the vegetation path and at the house. They do tow in the off-season and the home occupants have been known to call law enforcement and alert the tow company.

I guess it's up to each person whether they want to respect others private property.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 9:00 PM, Crazy Squirrel said:

I've heard about them, yes. I've never hunted there, though. 

You have to remember that pretty much all of the beach and cliffs there are private property, usually homes. In fact, pretty much everything along the Potomac is off limits for one reason or another. The only public access (that has known fossils) I can think of in Maryland is Purse State Park, but that's a little ways north, I believe, of that area. 

But even if you could get down to the beach there, it's my understanding that the formations exposed along that particular stretch (the Nanjemoy and Pamunkey Group) aren't particularly fossiliferous except in a couple of zones, but even then the vast majority of the fossils are just shells. If you're in the area, I'd suggest spending your time at Purse State Park (along MD-210), or, closer to DC, Henson Creek (which is well known for it's Turritella sp. from, I believe, the Paleocene aged Aquia Formation) or even the cliffs around Ft. Washington (no collecting allowed, but an interesting place to photograph late Cretaceous specimens of the Mattawan and Monmouth Formations). 

Hope this helps. 

On 2/7/2018 at 8:23 PM, Williamb55 said:

You WILL get towed if you park in that lot and possibly arrested if you cross private property down there. You're safe if you want to park and read the signs about John Wilkes Booth crossing of the Potomac, but I wouldn't stay for more than a few minutes.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png