ID help request - Various pieces

Dpaul7

Hello!

I've been trying to identify some fossils from Aurora, North Carolina.  My sister sent them to me, now that I have started collecting fossils again (after a LONG hiatus of 45+ years).

Some I think I have done correctly, but corrections most welcome.  I'm not too familiar with the fossils of this area OR Era. (Pennsylvanian fossils of Pennsylvania is what I have hunted/found).  I've made the clearest photos I could (I am a bit shaky with the camera sometimes). Here are my attempts (and requests for help!)

A: Sea Urchin Spine   B: Lemon Shark Negaprion sp  C (1,2,& 3): Tiger Shark - Galeocerdo (contortus?)
D through J: Sand TIger Shark Tooth
K:  A tooth?  A claw?  I have no idea!
L:  Do not know    M:  Do not know  N:  Rootless Sand Tiger Shark tooth?
O:  I have no idea!
P: A coral?  Stromatolite?    Q:  I have no idea!   R:  Sponge

Thank you for your attention.  As I learn and study, I hope to be able to help in the future!  I've been gathering books to study, and enjoy this subject very much!

David Ruckser

FOSSILS_ID_HELP.jpg

I have combined the photos into one; I can certainly upload individuals if needed.

Specimen Q is a ray mouth plate row.

Q.jpg.293ce9649b0b0ceb2f32aaa3edb80d0c.jpgRayTeeth.thumb.jpg.adb5949122dc7a453375b0a20f41c0a6.jpg

picture from here

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sorry I can’t help but looking forward to hearing what others think, especially for Specimen O. :popcorn:

Hello from about two and half hours south of you! Where about a do you hunt for fossils ( not looking for your “honey holes” just curious)? Not an incredible amount of places for Carboniferous fossils since st. Clair shut down other than Carbondale. I agree with what’s already been said, just like to point out that it’s physogaleus contortus for C rather than galeocardo contortus.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Dpaul7 said:

Thank you, MOTM ! Very much appreciated!

The label MOTM means "Member of the Month". You can see that there is a date next to it too: 08/2015. This means that he was the Member of the Month in August 2015. 

His username is @abyssunder;)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Oh, and for the IDs you're asking: 

• A: sea urchin spine 
  • B: Lemon shark tooth, species likely Negaprion eurybathrodon
  • C: Tiger shark Physogaleus/Galeocerdo contortus (which one of the two is the accepted one now?)
  • D-J: sand tiger shark teeth, probably, but some of them are too broken to certify. 
  • K:  a worn snaggletooth shark Hemipristis serra
  • L: requiem shark tooth (Carcharhinus sp.)? Or maybe a worn tiger shark (Galeocerdo contortus)? A few more pictures would be helpful.
  • M: bull/dusky shark tooth Carcharhinus sp.
  • N: small piece of shark tooth enamel, possibly sand tiger but then again, because it's broken it's too hard to certify.
  • O: small piece of a bittersweet clam Glycymeris sp.
  • P: some kind of coral/sponge...
  • Q: ray dental plates
  • R: maybe a sponge, or possibly a concretion (rock)

I repeated some of the IDs already given by other members, and also some of the ones you already proposed, but I thought it could be useful to have a short summary of everything :D

Happy hunting!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

6 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

C: Tiger shark Physogaleus/Galeocerdo contortus (which one of the two is the accepted one now?)

I believe it’s Physogaleus or at least it is in all recent scientific literature I have read. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I believe it’s Physogaleus or at least it is in all recent scientific literature I have read. 

Ok, thanks :dinothumb:

Max Derème

19 hours ago, M Harvey said:

O looks like an Ostera shell

(I think you mean Ostrea). No, I'm pretty sure that O is not part of an oyster shell. Hereby I attached a picture of a bittersweet clam, Glycymeris sp, from the Westerschelde in the Netherlands. In red I circled the part that is representative to O.

The second picture I attached is that of an oyster, Ostrea edulis, that I found on the Zandmotor in the Netherlands. You can see that there are no such ridges/teeth as those that are present in the Glycymeris and in O. 

IMG_1955_LI.jpg

IMG_1971.JPG

Max Derème

On 11/22/2017 at 8:07 AM, Max-fossils said:

(I think you mean Ostrea). No, I'm pretty sure that O is not part of an oyster shell. Hereby I attached a picture of a bittersweet clam, Glycymeris sp, from the Westerschelde in the Netherlands. In red I circled the part that is representative to O.

The second picture I attached is that of an oyster, Ostrea edulis, that I found on the Zandmotor in the Netherlands. You can see that there are no such ridges/teeth as those that are present in the Glycymeris and in O. 

IMG_1955_LI.jpg

IMG_1971.JPG

You may be right.  Hard to tell from the small photo.

On 21 novembre 2017 at 6:30 PM, Max-fossils said:

The label MOTM means "Member of the Month". You can see that there is a date next to it too: 08/2015. This means that he was the Member of the Month in August 2015. 

His username is @abyssunder;)

Bravo !!!:P

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I agree with @Max-fossils, D to J are sand shark teeth, and i also agree with @abyssunder, Q is a ray mouth plate. I agree with @Pixpaleosky, @ynot and @Max-fossils,  O is a shell hinge but not from an oyster.

N might be from an Odontaspis cuspidata.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

C and L are Physogaleus contortus

R is a Bryozoan

I think P is some type of sponge

I agree with the rest of @Max-fossils I.D.'s

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Can we have pictures of the opposite side of these ones?

P.thumb.jpg.cb9b03564a9d5e6f07250aa67b08cf11.jpgR.thumb.jpg.df10967fea3f32acb1ac890746f1c873.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 11/27/2017 at 7:19 PM, M Harvey said:

You may be right.  Hard to tell from the small photo.

True. It does sometimes take a trained eye to see small details.

Max Derème