Triceratops Frill piece. Is this real?

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum. 

The Forum does not provide estimates on monetary value. 

Per the Forum Rules and Community Standards (that you are supposed to read and agree to) when you join up:

"Please understand that The Fossil Forum cannot appraise the commercial value of a fossil; this is beyond what can be done through pictures on the internet, so please don't ask."

Best to check online to see what real ones go for at online retailers.  ;) 

Do you know where it was found? 

Where did you acquire it from?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Triceratops Frill piece. Is this real?

Welcome to the forum

Nice piece and the veining is indicative of ceratopsian frill.   I see that you call it Triceratops but there is nothing diagnostic that I'm aware of that would identify it to that species.  A Hell Creek specimen?

I agree with Troodon.

Assuming it's Hell Creek or Lance formation Triceratops is likely. Torosaurus might be possible as well though it's far more rare.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hi everybody (thanks Fossildude19 for setting me straight re: forum rules :)), 

Yes its from Hell Creek! Thanks so much for your responses, I really appreciate it as I'm super new to this.

Thanks again!

Really nice piece of frill you have there due to the fact of there being possibly more than two ceratopsians in hells creek it would have to go under ceratopsian sp. if i'm right in saying so there is two types of triceratops (T. horridus and T. prorsus) Torosaurus, Tatankaceratops and possibly Duranteceratops.

1 hour ago, Haravex said:

Really nice piece of frill you have there due to the fact of there being possibly more than two ceratopsians in hells creek it would have to go under ceratopsian sp. if i'm right in saying so there is two types of triceratops (T. horridus and T. prorsus) Torosaurus, Tatankaceratops and possibly Duranteceratops.

Correct in your comments. FYI   Tatankaceratops is still controversial genus and many ceratoposian paleontologists belive it's synonymous with Triceratops.  Duranteceratops is even more controversial and most consider it just a old guy (triceratops) They had it on display at the Tucson show and it's cool and very different looking.   Others may exist , there is a unique one with the Nanotyrannus dueling dinosaurs, why for the time being, to your point,  they should be called Ceratopsian sp. 

BTW the Dueling Dino ceratopsian has no horns and looks a lot like a Pachyrhinosaurus.  Again a number of paleontologist also believe it's a real old guy that lost it horns.

Archived