Mariopteris vs Sphenopteris

Shamalama

As I am going through my boxes of findings from the Llewellyn formation at St. Clair, PA, I came across some more interesting plates. Normally I would call this short, rounded foliage "Sphenopteris" but some research with the PA Geological Survey's book "Fossil Plants from the Anthracite Coal Fields of Eastern Pennsylvania", General Geology Report 72, 1982, John Oleksyshyn, I'm thinking these might be more accurately called Mariopteris cf. lobata.

IMG_7052.thumb.jpg.9648089c96fa3eda0ca7ebe5d2618c25.jpgIMG_7050.thumb.jpg.2115b1de3a4838393a4a96f89dbf40ee.jpg

Here is Figure 14 from the book that illustrates (plates A,B) what I think is a close match to what I have. 

Mariopteris.thumb.jpg.797496e56f3b7898539d7ee5c3933694.jpg

The book also states that the specimens that are used for the plates come from St. Clair so it is known to occur there. 

Thoughts?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I feel like I remember a past thread on this a while back..

sorry I can’t help but I’ll be watching what answers others come up with:popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have what I think is a very similar specimen preserved in pyrite that is on display in my Carboniferous gallery which I also ID'd as Mariopteris lobata. I was using the same source book as you which may account for this.

12 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

I have what I think is a very similar specimen preserved in pyrite that is on display in my Carboniferous gallery which I also ID'd as Mariopteris lobata. I was using the same source book as you which may account for this.

Yes, that looks very similar. Thanks Jeff!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Not familiar with this species, but Gastaldo and Boersma (1983b) transferred Mariopteris lobata White 1943 to Eusphenopteris (see also Gastaldo and Boersma 1983a).

Searching for green in the dark grey.