Hunting in the rain

Shellseeker

It rained hard most of the morning, It is not a lot of fun with water pouring down your neck,  Thankful for baseball caps.

Fortunately there are rewards... 4 of the Megs were unbroken and small. Largest was 1.75 inches. IMG_5556lg4LittleMegs.thumb.jpg.9bf50aea23c18586e10309ea3a7250f2.jpg

Some big chunks.. Land tortoise or sea turtle?  This is the biggest complete piece that I have found. IMG_5567.thumb.JPG.ee156894a8304f7a2861c143efad6d9f.JPGIMG_5569.thumb.JPG.91190b629b8edcaf8e75a6e2adae85c4.JPG

Finally, a likely rib bone.. just wondering if the groove makes this one identifiable..

IMG_5565.thumb.JPG.00199211794a18cec9857aa1d6389e12.JPG

Thanks for suggestions Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The finds look to be worth the weather, very nice indeed!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Well done, Jack!

Perseverance over weather pays off! :D 

Excellent finds. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Beautiful finds. :o

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Love your finds! Makes me want to plan my annual trip to Florida soon!! Especially when the thermometer announced 12 degrees an hour ago. Ill take the rain!!

Nice finds, Jack. Love that turtle/tortoise bit. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

OMG, SS has found my secret meg spot! JK, great finds! Worth the rain, for sure! 

I dug in the rain about 12 days ago, misty and windy and no wet suite, but it paid off, nice white shark tooth I found

P1010103.JPG

P1010104.JPG

16 hours ago, pedrobento said:

Wish I had that type of result around here... :ighappy:

Understand, I used to live/work NORTH of you. I did not get out hunting fossils much.

22 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

OMG, SS has found my secret meg spot! JK, great finds! Worth the rain, for sure!

I dug in the rain about 12 days ago, misty and windy and no wet suite, but it paid off, nice white shark tooth I found

P1010104.JPG

NICE tooth -- GREAT root. I have 6 in 10 years of hunting,  and my smallest is my favorite. This baby checks in at one inch

GreatWhiteOneInch.thumb.jpg.c371b26c6f37a37a1daca989d0081b07.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

5 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Understand, I used to live/work NORTH of you. I did not get out hunting fossils much.

NICE tooth -- GREAT root. I have 6 in 10 years of hunting,  and my smallest is my favorite. This baby checks in at one inch

No, I was under the impression it is an extinct mako (no serrations) but a Tff member, said it was a white shark (not great)

7 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

No, I was under the impression it is an extinct mako (no serrations) but a Tff member, said it was a white shark (not great)

The shark formerly known as Isurus hastalis has been moved to Carcharodon hastalis.

So it was a broad tooth mako shark but now is considered to be a broad tooth white shark.

Nice find, well worth the rain.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Jack,

I think tortoise! I have the same piece, but bigger. Dr Hulbert ID'd  it for me.

Nice megs, You better get them soon! I'm coming over Sat... LOL....

The size and texture of the rib look very much Proboscidean to me, nice bone:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

3 hours ago, Peace river rat said:

Sorry for the error.  My eyes are just not that good any more... It COULD have had serrations.. Sometimes the ONLY way I recognize the difference is the presense (or lack thereof) serrations

2015Apr18GW1.jpg.d29e606cf051193cb20e79a9cbd523c6.jpg58b373f462246_Picture2017cm.jpg.c2972597d16060f09ca401cdf563cf72.jpg.ecbcc7e08f34b1b41964fc3b7a3c548c.jpg

5 hours ago, ynot said:

The shark formerly known as Isurus hastalis has been moved to Carcharodon hastalis.

So it was a broad tooth mako shark but now is considered to be a broad tooth white shark.

Nice find, well worth the rain.

I wish those taxonomist could get their story straight!

11 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Buetiful tooth!

On 11/25/2017 at 7:58 PM, jlar7607 said:

Nice finds jack !

Sorry for response delay.   Trying to get back into hunting trim.  Out Sunday AND today.  Thinking about visiting some OLD spots now that the water has receded.

Archived