I dont want to get my hopes up! Trilobite?

Slaugbr1

5 day straight out in ohio.  Getting better at pinpointing where to look! Pick up a rock and thought maybe a fern but i think i see a little tail spike maybe. 

Is this a Trilobite? And if it is should i try and clean it up at all or leave it?

B0A72476-8AB6-4433-AE7E-54AC51F4CA8D.jpeg

Size of the item? 

Where in Ohio?

Can we get photos of it dry?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

15 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Size of the item? 

Where in Ohio?

Can we get photos of it dry?

As above. I'm not seeing trilobite yet.

The reason i thought it was its covered in matrix but if u look at the bottem of the photo u can see the tail areas 2 spikes coming out

I'm a bit more convinced now as I can see what may be pleural furrows on the sides however the lack of definition of the middle lobe is odd. Could be just a stage preservation. Others here will be abe to give better answer.

It could well be an arthropod of some kind, but the body doesn't show either the cephalon, thorax and pygidium or central axis with two side sections (pleura) diagnostic of trilobite

Hence a suggestion of eurypterid as we try to think what else it could be.

Do we know the age of the rock?

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks like a conulariid.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6CBEC743-6009-4D95-86B5-ED11BAA30A87.jpeg

This is a Conulariid.

• I found this Informative 4

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

If your area is Carboniferous, it's surely not a trilobite. The form doesn't match any Proetida that survived the Famennian extinction.

• I found this Informative 1

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

1 hour ago, Slaugbr1 said:

conulariid seems to be it.

Possibly, although I am not convinced.  It does have a resemblance, but the morphology looks different.  Yours appears to have a series of overlapping flat segments, whereas the conulariid photos I have seen show a rippled layer that is continuous.  Yours looks more like a eurypterid although it doesn’t appear to be a perfect match there, either.  Not sure what to say.

22 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Possibly, although I am not convinced.  It does have a resemblance, but the morphology looks different.  Yours appears to have a series of overlapping flat segments, whereas the conulariid photos I have seen show a rippled layer that is continuous.  Yours looks more like a eurypterid although it doesn’t appear to be a perfect match there, either.  Not sure what to say.

‘Tis a trick of the shadows. They are ridges but the shadow makes it look like they overlap when this is not the case. The segments would be real skinny for a eurypterid and the general shape would be funky. Here’s a close up of a Conulariid, both were from Wikipedia btw

27B89C8C-340B-4C37-A9ED-296E2CB49353.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

28 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

‘Tis a trick of the shadows. They are ridges but the shadow makes it look like they overlap when this is not the case. The segments would be real skinny for a eurypterid and the general shape would be funky. Here’s a close up of a Conulariid, both were from Wikipedia btw

27B89C8C-340B-4C37-A9ED-296E2CB49353.jpeg

Agreed that the segments look too narrow for the eurypterids I have seen, which is why I wasn’t too confident about that identification.  I will leave it to those of you more familiar with conulariids than I am to make that identification.  In any event it’s a very nice find, congratulations!

5 minutes ago, Slaugbr1 said:

Thanks everyone!!! Even though its not what i thought i think it looks really cool!

Forgot to say, nice find! These are not common.

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 minutes ago, Slaugbr1 said:

Thanks everyone!!! Even though its not what i thought i think it looks really cool!

It's very cool.  In my opinion, much rarer than trilobites in Ohio.  Nice find!  I wonder if more is present under the matrix.