Dewbunny

Are these concrete or sediments? These were discarded when they re-modeled the common grounds where I work. I could possibly procure them because they want to be rid of them and I have a truck capable of carrying them. Would they be worth the time and energy?

Dew bottle included for scale.

20171122_152335.jpg

20171122_152338.jpg

20171122_152411.jpg

20171122_152417.jpg

20171122_152422.jpg

20171122_152430.jpg

Is this not a fossil? Have you taken a look at a geologic map to determine the bedrock where you are, kinda reminds me of Ocala FM. Here’s a chunk I got from @joshuajbelanger

549ADD4C-F0E6-4085-8FE5-28809678AE1F.jpeg

image.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD Yep, I think so. I'm located about 8 miles in shore from that lil red dot I put on this map,in Hernando County FL.

I'm really hung up on pic #13 but I did notice the shell too.

I might whittle into the possible sand dollar just to see what it is and if I can remove it.

2017-11-22 20.51.36.png

31 minutes ago, Dewbunny said:

Yep, I think so. I'm located about 8 miles in shore from that lil red dot I put on this map,in Hernando County FL.

I might whittle into the possible sand dollar just to see what it is and if I can remove it.

Sounds like a plan. As for the original question, Shells are probably most of what you’d find with the odd sharks tooth and maybe a terrestrial fossil or two if your lucky. So just going to we’re they are now with a hammer and a chisel could work pretty well. Also the rain should naturally break it down over time.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ok, after a little more research I found that there is a layer of Ocala FM under the Suwannee Limestone layer in my area,and in a few places near by both layers are close underfoot. In a few places both layers are exposed.

Just now, Dewbunny said:

Ok, after a little more research I found that there is a layer of Ocala FM under the Suwannee Limestone layer in my area,and in a few places near by both layers are close underfoot. In a few places both layers are exposed.

I don’t know anything about the Suwanee limestones other than age, probably just an oligocene continuation of Ocala (maybe Joshua will know better). 

Happy hunting,

Mason

There is about a 10 Ma difference between the Suwannee Limestone and the Ocala Group Limestone.  Both produce silicified lenses that resist weathering.  In the case of these boulders, the difference is moot since the boulders are lawn ornaments or curb bumpers.  Any fossils included are much easier to extract from the relatively-loose limerock matrix. 

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Backyard Boulders

@Harry Pristis Oh! Thank you very much! That graph is extremely helpful! Some of the literature can be a little overwhelming and hard for me to understand. It's like playing connect the dots,but the dots aren't numbered and you kind Sir, you have really helped a bunch.  

20 hours ago, Dewbunny said:

@WhodamanHD Yep, I think so. I'm located about 8 miles in shore from that lil red dot I put on this map,in Hernando County FL.

2017-11-22 20.51.36.png

Gotcha on google maps Mason. Me and the boys will be raiding you collection when you’re asleep. Hehehe :ninja:

14 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Gotcha on google maps Mason. Me and the boys will be raiding you collection when you’re asleep. Hehehe :ninja:

Go ahead, I’ll find some more:P

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ya'll ain't raiding my panty drawer! Everything I've shown is safely behind guard gates in a patrolled gated community!  :muahaha: I ain't no fool

10 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Ingenious plot, even got the owner to help you steal them!:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76::P

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yeah, that’s definitely chunks of karst limestone.  Take a hammer to it, see what you can crack out.  If there aren’t many signs of fossils on the outside, it’s probably not too fossiliferrous.  If you go upstream at Gardner, when the river is low, you find huge chunks of this limestone.  There are a lot of big bivalves, I usually only find impressions.  But, heck, ya never know.

• I found this Informative 2