First Try - Feeding Paleozoic Crinoid

Arizona Chris

Hi all,

Slowly the pieces are coming together for our Permian panorama. This week I tried to make my first drawing ever of a crinoid.  In my first attempt, things did not go well.  Think of a kindergarteners crayon sketch of a big flower, and you get the idea.  Next, I spent days studying the anatomy of crinoids in the Index Fossils of North America book and the Treatiis.  My second attempt was more ghoulish stick figure than crinoid, and went in the trash.  Finally, in the past few days I got something closer to reality.  I hope you find it amusing.... 

Crinoid-1FSchur.thumb.jpg.814e64fc3cb48eaed2abefe8813809ef.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arizona Chris

Paleo Web Site:  http://schursastrophotography.com/fossiladventures.html

That’s pretty good! Nice job:dinothumb:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

somenone with my artistic capabilities can only look on in slackjawed awe.

Nice job,Chris.:dinothumb::dinothumb:

What's the current speed in your depiction /reconstruction?

farbuchsnariistlanthc.jpg

crinoid hydrodynamic modelling:

crinoiriistlanthc.jpg

dyncrinoiriistlanthc.jpg

Over all I think it is well done. It is better than I could probably do. I’m defenitely not a developed artist. 

I’m not sure if you’re looking for constructive criticism or not. I do have a couple thoughts on the holdfast. I’m not familiar with the various species, but the ones I have seen the holdfasts are also segmented. Also they are distinct like the arms, but yours almost look like a webbed foot. For all I know there are species that resemble that.

I think the arms may generally be a little fuller. If they’re too sparse they may not be able to catch enough food. Otherwise the individual arms and  penules are drawn quite well.

I think most people will not notice the differences if you don’t change a thing though. Well done for your first one.

I can't speak to the accuracy of it, but it's a great-looking drawing that will go well with your panorama. That's a terrific project you're working on!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Archived