Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Max-fossils

Hi all,

 

I have a question for you guys... But I wouldn't be too surprised if you don't know the answer.

 

Well, as a few of you know, my local hunting spot is the Zandmotor, a beach extension in the south of The Hague.

You can find some of my finds here: 

 

Well, I find many bivalves and gastropods here, that are from the Eemian stage of the Pleistocene (130'000 - 115'000 years ago). Those shells (like the other fossils found on the Zandmotor) are from pits in the North Sea. Those pits are very rich in fossils, and when boats come to bring the sand onto the beach, the fossils are taken along. So the shells here are the same as those found in Maasvlakte 2 or in Hoek van Holland (two other fossil hotspots similar to the Zandmotor), just like on any Zuid-Holland beach.

And I was wondering,  does anyone know what formation these shells are from? I know that here in the collections, putting in "Pleistocene sediments" is good enough, but I would like to know if this is really the formation they are in.

 

Thanks in advance for your help!

 

Best regards,

 

Max

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spinosaurus

i don't think they really have a formation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
35 minutes ago, Spinosaurus said:

i don't think they really have a formation.

That’s what it seems like indeed... But that is confusing though... Shouldn't, theoretically, every fossil be part of a specific formation? 

 

I think that maybe the Eemian North Sea bivalves are from a currently unnamed formation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

That’s what it seems like indeed... But that is confusing though... Shouldn't, theoretically, every fossil be part of a specific formation? 

 

I think that maybe the Eemian North Sea bivalves are from a currently unnamed formation...

I think this may be the case, just undifferentiated unnamed submarine Pleistocene deposits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrangellian

Does Europe even have names for formations, like we do in North America and elsewhere? I was under the impression you don't have them, you just give the stage and the location. I could be wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc
13 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Does Europe even have names for formations, like we do in North America and elsewhere? I was under the impression you don't have them, you just give the stage and the location. I could be wrong...

IN general, Europe does it as wrangellain suggests, with a few exceptions.  But even here in the states we rarely give names to Pleistocene deposits.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer

fossil_hunting_guide_geology_map2.jpg;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
On 11/24/2017 at 12:25 AM, WhodamanHD said:

I think this may be the case, just undifferentiated unnamed submarine Pleistocene deposits.

That seems likely to be the case.

On 11/24/2017 at 4:26 AM, Wrangellian said:

Does Europe even have names for formations, like we do in North America and elsewhere? I was under the impression you don't have them, you just give the stage and the location. I could be wrong...

 

On 11/24/2017 at 6:12 PM, jpc said:

IN general, Europe does it as wrangellain suggests, with a few exceptions.  But even here in the states we rarely give names to Pleistocene deposits.  

Here in Europe, we do give names for formations too ;) In fact, they are often named after closeby villages or cities (like in the US I think). But maybe for Pleistocene deposits, they are too numerous and too similar for scientists to put a formation name on them (regardless if it's an American or European deposit). 

 

On 11/24/2017 at 9:07 PM, JohnBrewer said:

fossil_hunting_guide_geology_map2.jpg;)

 

That looks like a good map, thanks a lot; unfortunately I'm not sure what to look at. I think that there is an outline of the countries underneath, but it is too blurred for me to see. Could you please indicate where I should look?

 

Oh, and everyone: sorry for the late replies... Been busy, and then forgot about this topic! :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer
1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

That looks like a good map, thanks a lot; unfortunately I'm not sure what to look at. I think that there is an outline of the countries underneath, but it is too blurred for me to see. Could you please indicate where I should look?

 

That’s just a part of Yorkshire, UK listing a few UK formations :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
Just now, JohnBrewer said:

That’s just a part of Yorkshire, UK listing a few UK formations :) 

Oh, okay. No Pleistocene deposits there, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer

Not that I know of but a lot of Pleistocene stuff gets dredged up between there and your country ;) I only put my response up to show we have formations too this side of the world. Didn’t mean to confuse you/your original post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
Just now, JohnBrewer said:

Not that I know of but a lot of Pleistocene stuff gets dredged up between there and your country ;) I only put my response up to show we have formations too this side of the world. Didn’t mean to confuse you/your original post!

Ooh, okay. Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Max-fossils
On 12/4/2017 at 9:57 PM, Johan said:

Hi Max-fossils,

 

Perhaps these kind of questions are better asked to other local fossil hunters, for example on Fossiel.net. Anyway, most of the Pleistocene marine shells from the Zandmotor are from the Eem Formation (i.e. from the Eemian, Late Pleistocene). A smaller part of the Pleistocene marine material is from the Maassluis Formation (Early Pleistocene) or the equivalent of this further into the North Sea, the Westkapelle Ground Formation.

 

Cheers,

Johan

 

Great info, thanks a lot, Johan!

To be honest, I haven't used the Community part of Fossiel.net is quite a while now, because my Dutch is not that great... My English is much better, which is why I am more comfortable writing in English. (And yes, I know that there is an English part on Fossiel.net, but very few people looked at that one lol).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×