Jim K

Hello, I just recently joined the group and I am hoping for some help on this fossil. Other than the photos, I can't offer any information on it. About 20 years ago I was at an estate sale, in an old home, and spotted a rock up on the foundation in the basement. Upon retrieving it and blowing off the layers of dust and dirt, I found this fossil. I asked if it was for sale, and bought it for a dollar. The texture on the fossil has caused my imagination to wander, but I have no idea what it might be or where it came from. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks.

_01F0546.JPG

_01F0548.JPG

_01F0550.JPG

_01F0551.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

i can’t help in your ID but it looks pretty interesting. Someone will be along soon with an ID. Best I can do is say with a little confidence is that it’s fauna rather than flora. Looks cool whatever it is. :)

Reminds me of a paleozoic shark tooth? Although I'm not sure I've ever seen one in a nodule like that.

My other thought was some kind of arthropod exoskeleton

Crab was my first thought, so I agree with the above statement.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think there is more of the crab in the rock, and it would benefit from a professional preparation.

Nice find, especially for such a low price.

Maybe one of TFF's crab experts can identify where it came from.

@RJB, @Doctor Mud, @MB, @bruce, @caterpillar, @crabfossilsteve

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I believe this is just a single crab claw a concretion. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

9 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

I believe this is just a single crab claw a concretion. 

This is not a claw, it's a raninid carapace.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

29 minutes ago, piranha said:

This is not a claw, it's a raninid carapace.

_01F0551.thumb.jpg.cb204c9b15bdb0e6971af2725a07f535_1511482790934.png.92fa9a53af3b06c256731211971201ae.png

This was the part that was throwing me off. That, and the heavily pitted texture.  I don't have one of these to reference and can't find anything on Google. Do these crabs have a line of spikes going down the sides of the carapace? 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

1 hour ago, fossilized6s said:

_01F0551.thumb.jpg.cb204c9b15bdb0e6971af2725a07f535_1511482790934.png.92fa9a53af3b06c256731211971201ae.png

...Do these crabs have a line of spikes going down the sides of the carapace?...

Yes, some species have this morphology.  Here is a modern analog for comparison:

IMG.jpg.0dc837046ed3afaeb125716f5d0adf03.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

piranha hit this one right on the nail head.  If there is enouph rock underneath, it may have some leg and there could be claws, but usually, when I find these, they are moslty just the carapace.

RB

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!  Ah...it's just an old, dead crab.  Have you ever smelled a dead crab that has been sitting around for a while?  They really STINK!  I think you need to sell it to me for $2 (double your money) and I'll even pay the shipping to Texas! :D  Just kidding, of course!

Nice find!  I'm going to have to start hitting estate sales more often!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Thanks to everyone for your response. It's nice to finally know what it is. Who says there is nothing to be found in the glaciated parts of Wisconsin :). Thanks again!

Jim

Wisconsin? You should find all kinds of fossils up that way. Definitely a crab shell. I found most of mine in PA and Ohio.

Archived