Unknown Cretaceous find

coled18

Hi all,

This was found by my brother at he Niobrara chalk earlier in W Kansas.  I have no idea what it is, so could you all help? I am thinking it is a bone fragment of some kind although it has the general shape of a limpet. 

A713B817-0F3C-4840-9EC2-98E46104431B.jpeg

CD2BC15E-083D-444D-B94F-276301813252.jpeg

29381C60-94DB-4CE5-9A40-4BC65B150213.jpeg

CD

I’ve got no idea what this is, so for curiosity’s sake I’m going to follow this thread. Sorry I can’t help, hope someone else can!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I think I found the answer out myself. I think that it is a mostly complete tooth from a Ptychodus Mortoni, a shell-crushing shark that lived in the Late Cretaceous. I am envious of my brothers find!!!

CD

paleoichtyology ,Niobrara(Smoky Hill)

Edaphodon,Ptychodus,Johnlongia,Cretalamna,Cretoxyrhina,Pseudocorax,Squalicorax,Micropycbodon,Palaeobalistum,Rhinobatos,Protosphyraena,

Paraliodesmus,Asarotus,Gillicus,Ichthyodectes,Xiphactinus,Prosaurodon,Saurocephalus,Saurodon,Syntegmodus,Niobraria,Martinichthys,Bananogmius

(Pseudo)thryptodus,Plethodes,Zanclites,Dixonanogmius,Palelops,Urenchelys,Apsopelyx,Pachyrhizodus,Leptecodo,Stratodus,Enchodus,Kansius,Omosoma,

Laminospondylus,Aethocephalichthys

Some can obviously be ruled out beforehand.

Is it an ichthyolith?

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

The pics are vague, but that could be a big buckle  of ray ? A plate / patch with a spine above, I don't remember any more the name in English...

http://www.paleomania.com/article-boucle-de-raie-dasyatis-du-neogene-d-anvers-122387002.html

Coco

• I found this Informative 2

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I think it is a ray dermal denticle or something similar to Peyeria, that is sometimes considered a Sclerorhynchid dermal denticle rather than a sawfish rostral tooth. Definitely does not look like Ptychodus though.

Картинки по запросу peyeria

Here is a picture of Rhina ancylostoma (modern guitarfish) spines.

Похожее изображение

• I found this Informative 1

The Tooth Fairy

I know that most Ptychodus teeth look fairly different from what I have, and I think that ray denticle is also a possibility, so thank you all for that insight. However, I still think that Ptychodus Mortoni is still an option, since I initially compared my find to these Mortoni teeth found in the same county. My pictures are not of great quality, namely the first one which does leave out a lot of detail. From what I know, Ptychodus teeth fossils are fairly common in the Niobrara chalk, whereas I cannot find anything concerning rays in the in the Smoky Hill chalk layer (I was hunting there). What do you all think? Would more better pictures help?

leidy18a.jpg

pyto.jpg

CD