Small Fish Head Lifting Off Shale Matrix

LoneRanger

I have one more small Triassic Diplurus coelacanth fish collected many years ago in North Bergen, New Jersey. The fish's head is slightly lifting off the shale matrix along its top and bottom, but remains well attached at the front and back of the head -- see the photos.  The lift gap along top and bottom is at most 0.5 to 0.67 mm.  Pressing on the head results in a micro-movement down.  With careful handling, I don't believe that the head is in any danger of fully detaching.  I have little background in prep work, so I would like to ask opinions on:  Should anything be done to cement the head down?  And a related question: what cementing technique can be used given that the gap is under one mm.  I appreciate any thoughts on this.

DiplurusHead 004.jpg

DiplurusHead 007.jpg

I would go with cyanoacrylate. Let a drop or 2 wick into the crack and then press down on the head and hold until the glue sets (probably around 60 seconds). If you have a couple c-clamps, you can drop the glue in, then sandwich the fish between 2 pieces of wood and clamp to hold pressure on the joint.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks Kris, the head is now much more securely anchored. I didn't try to fill in the break/gap along the top and bottom of the head, but the glue under the head now prevents it from moving down when pressed on.

• I found this Informative 1

50 minutes ago, LoneRanger said:

Thanks Kris, the head is now much more securely anchored. I didn't try to fill in the break/gap along the top and bottom of the head, but the glue under the head now prevents it from moving down when pressed on.

Good news.

• 1 month later...

After I glued down the head, Kris did an excellent job of prepping this fish.  The photo shows his results (there are some small lumps of glue along the bottom of the head that I may try to remove in the future).

Diplurus 003.jpg

• I found this Informative 2