Cambrian Sponge?

Nanosaurus

I apologize that this is just one photo taken by my phone, but that is all I have to use at the moment. This fossil (about 6 cm long) is from the middle Cambrian Spence Shale of Oneida Narrows, Idaho. I am leaning towards a sponge? Does anyone have any idea what this is? Thanks for the help!

Oneida Narrows Sponge.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Not a taxonomic assessment,but Triticispongia and Choia are among the possibilities.

The taphonomy of sponges is complex

• I found this Informative 2

Could be an algae, Marpolia has been found in Cambrian Spence Shale. Or trace fossil like Oldhamia. 

Also disclaimer I’m not farmiliar with the area, just did some online research, so please tell me why I’m wrong! Lol best way to learn is throw ideas out and have them explained to you why they are incorrect...

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards a sponge after a variety of opinions. I lean away from Marpolia because the structures I am interpreting as spicules are entirely straight instead of wavy as in the Marpolia pics I am seeing at least. Though I am still open to any suggestions. :-)

The long spines could indeed be single spicules, or bundles of them. If it is a protomonaxonid, they only have oxeas (monaxons pointed at both ends) (according to the recent Treatise, my main source of sponge info) .

Very nice whatever it is. :) (Sponge looks good.)

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

• 5 months later...

After many years pondering, I've finally signed up - because of stumbling across this thread! :)

First thing: well done all, on getting it as a sponge. Second thing: I've got to say it is a truly spectacular specimen. The main key to understanding it is those really large spicules, which get wider downwards, until they disappear - that's a really odd feature restricted to one group of derived protomonaxonids. Classifying it is slightly tricky, as it could be a new species of Hamptonia, or a Lenica species. The spicules are very similar to the array seen in Lenica unica (widespread from China to Greenland), but that species is unknown as a complete specimen (it's normally too big to fit on the slab...); it does, however, have fine longitudinal ridges running down the large spicules, which should be distinctive in your specimen if they're there. Lenica (sometimes referred to as Choia in the literature) hindei is more discoidal in outline, rather than the tall conical form in this species.

This specimen shows what looks to be a unique amount of detail in the arrangement of the spicules, and is far better than most specimens of these genera that are known. In other words, this really is one to treasure.

• I found this Informative 3

Indeed, it is an amazing, rare and beautiful specimen. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png