Micah

Hi all, I found this what I believe to be a conularid between Brownville and Peru Nebraska in what I believe is part of the Dakota Formation (nearshore Cretaceous) however to my knowledge no Conulariida have been described in Nebraska Cretaceous material. There are also outcrops of Permian limestone (part of the Stanton formation) present where I found this, but this is the wrong type of rock for that. I’ve never found a conularid before, so confirmation of that would be helpful! (Also ruler is in inches)

B023D355-64DE-4693-9B3C-6C2A4EC6166C.jpeg

3EAAFE96-2EE1-42F2-AECC-3E73228B4D22.jpeg

23D7AF56-33BF-4919-8954-917F2B8118F7.jpeg

I don't think this is a conulariid. Conulariids went extinct during the Triassic. Also, I'm not seeing the "zig-zag" pattern that they have. Looks similar to vertebraria (cross section of glossopteris roots).

For comparison:

https://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2017/04/14/wooster’s-fossil-of-the-week-a-conulariid-lower-carboniferous-of-indiana/comment-page-1/

2 hours ago, Foozil said:

Looks similar to vertebraria (cross section of glossopteris roots).

Sorry, but it's at the wrong end of the globe for these. They are southerners.

Conulariids disappeared during the early Triassic. :unsure: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a plant, conulariids are just the most similar fossil I’ve been able to identify. What type of plant has such a weird structure? 

55 minutes ago, Micah said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a plant, conulariids are just the most similar fossil I’ve been able to identify. What type of plant has such a weird structure? 

It reminds me of Artisia though that's Carboniferous...

Tarquin

I looked back at the geology of where I found this and I want to amend what formation I believe it is from. Rather than Cretaceous rock I’m fairly certain this is actually from the Indian Cave Sandstone member of the Towle Formation which completely changes the time period. I was looking at the wrong area’s geology before...

I was about to say, this is almost certainly Admire Group. Where exactly along the Peru-Brownsville stretch did you find this?

@jdp Along Steamboat Trace about a mile north of brownville I believe. It’s been a couple years since I found this specimen, and recent discussions of conulariids prompted me to pull it out and try to ID it. (Previously I had assumed it was some strange fern, but it pretty clearly is not.

That might be Indian Cave Sandstone then, in which case it may not be conulariid, as I think all of that rock is estuarine. It could be plant of some sort.

11 hours ago, Micah said:

What type of plant has such a weird structure? 

I have seen that type of pattern on the inside of cat tail reeds.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yea I’ve found plant material in Indian cave sandstone before. Does anyone know of a source I could look through to compare to my specimens?

Archived