Fossil???

Harwood

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.  I was wondering if I could get some help identifying the material in the picture.  It was found on a shale / glacial till beach in southern Ontario. The material is very light in weight and looks to have shell fragment inbeded.  Thanks for looking.IMG_20171126_083548.thumb.jpg.414f78f45e49a0e2d2319ac7f2f03c7a.jpgIMG_20171126_083634.thumb.jpg.b42621dccd8280ef0e541cf4107a1b92.jpg

Welcome to the forum from another Ontarian.

It may be possible that you have a very worn internal section of a brachiopod. It is unlikely to be oyster as this area is predominantly paleozoic, straddling the Ordovician to the Devonian as you move from east to west. If this was found on the shores of Lake Ontario (which would be my guess), it would likely be Ordovician in age. If found on the shores of Lake Erie, likely Devonian (with some very isolated Silurian outcrops). 

It looks somewhat cherty.

For our non-Canadian friends, the coin pictured is a "twoonie" and has a diameter of 28 mm.

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

possibly water worn stromatoporoid

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I would say if it is very light in weight, chert won't make the cut. Must be something airy or of a very non dense material.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

6 hours ago, Kane said:

Welcome to the forum from another Ontarian.

It may be possible that you have a very worn internal section of a brachiopod. It is unlikely to be oyster as this area is predominantly paleozoic, straddling the Ordovician to the Devonian as you move from east to west. If this was found on the shores of Lake Ontario (which would be my guess), it would likely be Ordovician in age. If found on the shores of Lake Erie, likely Devonian (with some very isolated Silurian outcrops). 

It looks somewhat cherty.

For our non-Canadian friends, the coin pictured is a "twoonie" and has a diameter of 28 mm.

Yes it was from lake ontario. Took the kids fossil hunting for their PA day. A few others we found.

IMG_20171126_151919.thumb.jpg.8d0c807dcf82cbeb61a015f1ae1dc9b8.jpg

43 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I would say if it is very light in weight, chert won't make the cut. Must be something airy or of a very non dense material.

It is very light, 60 g.