Homemade Fossil Storage Cabinet

Sagebrush Steve

2 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

OK, it's done, just in time for Christmas!  Now I have to make room for it in the house and start filling it with fossils.  Should keep me busy for awhile.

final.jpg.8e6823ecff89da02cdb6743bfa969bd7.jpg

5a3c59dc35678_FinalOpen.thumb.jpg.e498232d68f51a1efdfd3a91d6e5d0f1.jpg

Beautiful!:envy:

7 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

OK, it's done, just in time for Christmas!  Now I have to make room for it in the house and start filling it with fossils.  Should keep me busy for awhile.

final.jpg.8e6823ecff89da02cdb6743bfa969bd7.jpg

5a3c59dc35678_FinalOpen.thumb.jpg.e498232d68f51a1efdfd3a91d6e5d0f1.jpg

Fantastic job on this beautiful cabinet. A true craftsman :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

The finished piece came out absolutely beautiful.  What a professional job.

Have fun filling it up.  Probably will happen sooner than expected.

When can you make me one?

16 hours ago, cowsharks said:

Awesome.  How do you fasten the drawer fronts to the drawer box(es)? 

thanks,

Daryl.

It is a 3-step process.  First, there is a 1/8 inch gap between each of the drawer front dress panels and between the sides of the dress panels and the cabinet sides.  (The dress panel is the solid oak drawer front you see on each drawer.)  To get this spacing I use 1/8 inch shims set on top of the drawer below and at each side.  I place the dress panel and hold it in place using the shims as spacers.  I then run two temporary screws from the front of the dress panel through the two holes I previously drilled for the knobs.  This holds the dress panel in place to the front of the drawer box.  Then I use 3 wood screws inserted from the back side of the drawer box front to mount it permanently.  (I previously drilled holes for these screws through only the drawer box front.)  These screws have to be short enough that they don’t poke through the front of the dress panel, so they don’t go in very far.  The final step is to remove the two temporary screws and attach the knobs.  The screws that hold these knobs are inserted from behind and are long enough that they go through both the front of the drawer box and the dress panel.  So it ends up being held in place by both the 3 wood screws and the two drawer knob screws.  I thought about using glue but rejected the idea because it would prevent me from making any minor adjustments in the future if necessary.  Sorry for the long explanation, hope it helps. 

16 hours ago, oldtimer said:

The finished piece came out absolutely beautiful.  What a professional job.

Have fun filling it up.  Probably will happen sooner than expected.

When can you make me one?

Ha Ha.  You probably couldn’t afford my hourly rate!  But I’m happy to give you my plans so you can make it yourself: 

Cabinet Design v4b.pdf

And yes, I’m afraid it won’t be too long before I have to add another.  Making the first one was fun.  Doing more seems like drudgery.

The plans are great. You have me saying hum?  I can do that.

I love that some of your measurements are down to the thousandths' of an inch.

I don't think my table saw and blade can be that precise.  My tape only divides in 1/16s of an inch. :headscratch:

13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

The plans are great. You have me saying hum?  I can do that.

I love that some of your measurements are down to the thousandths' of an inch.

I don't think my table saw and blade can be that precise.  My tape only divides in 1/16s of an inch. :headscratch:

Computers are great.  But when I started my career in engineering there was no such thing as a digital calculator, we used slide rules.  That teaches you how useless that third decimal point really is.  Like you, I had to convert those numbers to fractions, an exercise I will leave to the reader :D

Nice job. Looks nicer than any of mine, but then I don't care as much about the appearance as the use ('Form Follows Function'), esp. the amount it could hold.

I could probably fill that one up in half an hour, but it would be better for me to high-grade my collection and get rid of everything that exceeds the 9 units I've already got!

• 3 months later...

Beter late than never. A few years ago I put together this page on making Specimen boxes. They are cheap and easy to make in any size you need to fit your needs. I hope it helps someone.

Archived