"Fossilized Turtle Eggs"

Trilobiting

Hello,

I found these "fossil turtle eggs" up for sale on an auction site. The seller claims these "authentic" turtle eggs were found in Bulgaria. I highly doubt these are even eggs, they may just be concretions. Just to be sure, I'm asking whether these are real or not.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

This may come as a surprise, and it is the first time I’ve ever said such a thing on an egg related post, but it might be real. I’m no expert in such things, but it looks to have a thin egg shell that has bumps on it. It’s also cracked in a way one would expect from a fossil egg. Do wait for others opinions though.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Turtle eggs have a very smooth surface not textured like avian eggs usually are, and they look very much like a ping-pong ball. This piece pictured seems unevenly shaped. I am going with a "pass" on this one.

Here's another one the seller has up for sale.

20171126_162155.png

20171126_162129.png

20171126_162110.png

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

52 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

The first one is an echinoid with most of the shell missing.

Do you know what the second one is?

8 minutes ago, Trilobiting said:

Do you know what the second one is?

I’m thinking concretion or maybe steinkern.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I would avoid these. They look nothing like turtle eggs.

Here are what Oligocene turtle eggs from White River Formation, Wyoming look like.

5a1b820261c1b_turtle1.thumb.jpg.1ef3ae5f9ce380a0cfe419e1e7de5807.jpg 5a1b82037d540_turtle2.jpg.370b19d3a9943a91f539a861c84392e8.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I’d avoid them just because one of them is clearly an echinoderm, not what the seller claimed it was and if one is shown to not be what it is purported to be, then that makes any other claims suspect as well.

The first picture for sure is an echinoderm - the others might be as well. Stay away.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I really don't know much about these so I don't think my opinion will help much in this matter.  Seems like most think its an echinoderm.  Here's a turtle egg in my collection from China:

IMG_6885.thumb.JPG.2499ffd66f9ee732edd4dd435e9f0ed7.JPG

Archived