A Quick Visit To A Couple Road Cuts Near Oglesby, Illinois (Part 2)

Nimravis

On 12/5/2017 at 12:34 AM, smt126 said:

You guys ever find shark teeth or ammonite material in there? I read in old geology book that those have been found in that area. I thought about making the drive down there with the family one of these days. Do you guys break open a lot not matrix or mostly look around? My daughter and I are happy to just look or dig\break, but my boys are all about demolition.

As an FYI, site 2 where the nice brachiopods come from is not a place that I would recommend for people under 18- the Wall at this exposure is not stable and that is where that material comes from, plus the “grade” is very steep and an accident can happen. The 2 times that I have been there have been with caution. But any place you collect has to be with caution, but this place is just a little bit different.

@Monica yes, they are very nice.

@oldtimer glad you found it useful.

On 12/5/2017 at 12:34 AM, smt126 said:

You guys ever find shark teeth or ammonite material in there? I read in old geology book that those have been found in that area. I thought about making the drive down there with the family one of these days. Do you guys break open a lot not matrix or mostly look around? My daughter and I are happy to just look or dig\break, but my boys are all about demolition.

I forgot to reply in regards to your question on Shark teeth and Ammonites. I reviewed an article from a October 2008 ESCONI Bulletin that references the former Lonestar Quarry which is adjacent to Site 1, mentioned at the beginning of this post. According to the article, the following fossils can be found in the Quarry (Now Closed):

Cephalopods / Nautiloids / Ammonoids / Clams / Brachiopods / Gastropods / Bryozoan / Horn Coral / Crinoids / Pieces of the trilobites Ameura sangamonensis and Ditomopyge parvulus) / Shark teeth are rare but can be found in the Bond Formation / Most common teeth belong to Deltadus, Peltalodus and Cladodus. There was a mention that at one point during the operation of the quarry, thousands of Shark teeth were found.

Hope this helps.

23 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Nimravis sweet looking ammonite. @Ptychodus04 can attest to the beauty of those. Very nice. :ammonite01:

That was something that I saw at an auction right before I went fossil collecting- I did not get that one.

Love the ammonite. Not sure if it is from Texas, but I have see. Some similar ones here. This is one someone posted on the local FB page a couple weeks ago.

4670AF1B-4364-4BB7-A2E9-4AF0FF56636B.thumb.jpeg.3ef71c8e8dada8208bee9517b969c2e3.jpeg

The little compositas look a lot like our Cretaceous Waconella wacoensis.

We also have the neospirifers in the Pennsylvanian here. 

The profile pic of that one is quite striking.

The one place looks like a cool place to go hunting, but a bit dangerous too. Hope you take a hard hat next time, although if several pounds of rock come falling I’m not sure how much help or protection a hard hat will provide.

Nice finds. Maybe you can use that new saw to cut the chunks down a bit.

@Nimravis yea that's what I've read too. I was curious if you've ever found any in your adventures at site 1. It would be fun to spend a day in the quarry no doubt. It looks like they even allowed kids to collect there at one point.

23 minutes ago, smt126 said:

@Nimravis yea that's what I've read too. I was curious if you've ever found any in your adventures at site 1. It would be fun to spend a day in the quarry no doubt. It looks like they even allowed kids to collect there at one point.

Yes they did, I took my kid there a few times when he was about 8, he is 34 now. I never found shark teeth, but know people who have.