Does anybody buy dinosaur bones?

Brianna

Hi everybody!

I just a question. Does anybody actually purchase dinosaur bones ? I took this bone to UWL and they confirmed and I have emails and photos verifying that it is a Mastadon femur bone. They think they it wasn't full grown yet when it died. It's pretty cool actually and they can't believe how good of condition it is in. 

Snapchat-721171865.jpg

Snapchat-724029261.jpg

Snapchat-523610951.jpg

5 minutes ago, Brianna said:

Does anybody actually purchase dinosaur bones ? I took this bone to UWL and they confirmed and I have emails and photos verifying that it is a Mastadon femur bone.

Welcome to TFF!

Yes there are People Who will purchase fossils. (TFF does not do appraisals.)

If Your bone is a "Mastodon" then it is a mammal bone, not a dinosaur bone.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

Yes there are People Who will purchase fossils. (TFF does not do appraisals.)

If Your bone is a "Mastodon" then it is a mammal bone, not a dinosaur bone.

You beat me to it!! (I wanted to state the obvious.)

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

2 minutes ago, Brianna said:

So is it even worth anything do you think ?

TFF does not do appraisals.

Look at fossil sales sites for similar items, and see what they are selling for.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Brianna said:

I mean how do I post ? Do I go through PayPal?

I do not understand Your question. What do You want to post? What does paypal have to do with posting?

@Brianna Hello Brianna. If I had a piece like you pictured and I wished to sell it, I would take these steps. The most active, easily accessible market is eBay. I would use its search feature ("mastodon bone") for a while and determine the average price items like yours are commanding. A large bone like yours is not a very common offering, but they do come up. So, with a little time you can reach a pretty good understanding of the market. Using a search engine outside of eBay would also be advisable and perhaps even a quicker way of finding a comparable piece. Again, a search for "mastodon bone for sale" would probably be most productive.  

In addition shipping costs would be a concern for a fossil like this. Researching that cost will also help you in determining a viable sale plan.

Fossils have more "value" to serious collectors when they are accompanied by collecting information. That is, where the piece was found and what geological formation yielded it. You apparently already have a positive ID on the piece so you are in great shape for that important info.

Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Brianna, we don't do appraisals on this forum so we can not give you an estimate of value.  I don't believe you have enough standing on the forum with the amount of posts you have to sell on here yet.  Search other auction sites or fossil sellers on the internet to get an idea of what something similar is selling for.

Start your search under Mastodon bones, not Dinosaur.

There is an eBay seller that regularly sells similar bones from Siberia, but of course there is quite a bit of money tied up in shipping for such a monstrosity.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Remember, a Fossil or anything for that fact, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You will see a lot of items for sale on various sites that have a But It Now price and they do not sell. So you gave to take that into account when searching for prices. You may see a similar item that was priced at $XX, but what you need to determine is what it sold for. It is kind of like Beanie Babies and baseball cards, you are hard pressed to find someone who will take them for free.

Good Luck

24 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

are hard pressed to find someone who will take them for free.

I’ll take the mastodon for free!:P 

no idea where I’d put a fossil of that size if I found one (probably a Museum).

• I found this Informative 3

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I’ll take the mastodon for free!:P 

no idea where I’d put a fossil of that size if I found one (probably a Museum).

"Sorry honey, you'll have to sleep in the garage from now on...gotta make room for my collection you know!"

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

"Sorry honey, you'll have to sleep in the garage from now on...gotta make room for my collection you know!"

Well, you gotta do what you gotta do:P

4 hours ago, Brianna said:

Like I don't know how to post on here or find anything at that. Is it easier to navigate on a computer ?

You cannot post it on the forum yet, member sales access requires ongoing participation and a certain number of posts. I’m sure this bone could go for a pretty big price if someone wanted it badly enough. Shipping is the main constraint, because that will be super expensive. Good luck with the magnificent bone, I hope it goes to a good home! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree with @Nimravis the prices for fossils like this bone are very very inflated on most fossil sites. They won't be much help because once a fossil sells, they replace its original price with a "sold" banner so you never know how much it was worth, I will say that if you search in ebay "mastodon bone" and then go into advanced options and select sold items, then it will show you the ones at prices that people actually were willing to pay. That is what I like to do when I am researching the value of a fossil. @Brianna

• I found this Informative 1