Crocodile Skull Fossil

Crazyhen

I vote on fake/suggestive rock.

A bumpy texture alone doesn't weight against the magnitude of problems on this object. The shape doesn't look like Phytosaur. The bone structure is wrong for croc. The dealer is dubious.

Yes, the "lower jaw" looks like there's some bone inside, but is this a risk you wanna take?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The second set of photos, in my opinion, make it clear that this is a real crocodilian skull heavily encrusted with matrix, probably river sediment. I have prepped several southeast Asian and Indonesian croc skulls that are similarly distorted and river worn. I would think it more likely to be from one of those locations than Madagascar. A good cleaning would be helpful, but even prepped, I don't think you would have a skull of very good quality.

• I found this Informative 1

One thing worries me about this and that is you have the jaw to go with the skull and it is separate. I think it may be a real skull, but fairly modern and heavily encrusted. If it is an extant species there could be problems with paperwork.

• I found this Informative 2

Modern crocodilian skull covered with snarge concrete/puddy mix to look "old". Pass, pass, pass. But just my opinion. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Definitely a fake.

Looks like a few real/cast bone pieces from a croc skull glued together in a poor attempt to make it look like a skull. Though the materials are different, this isn't far off from the horrid mosasaur "jaw" composites we see from Morocco. Same type of technique I'd reckon.

• I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

• 2 weeks later...

What a hunk of junk for 1k

No information provided on the skull, shipping from Lianyungang City, China

Good bargin shipping is free :wacko:

5a29432b11db3_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.6158238eda18a264073f263a8d6539fe.jpg5a294335dfcc2_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.08e16d400be9358b33bc22b6eab54b0c.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.7c3576b4bfdc644308786b833db43f48.jpg

Frankly, it's horrible. 

Even if it's not a fake, and I'm very suspicious about this, I wouldn't pay much for it. 

Horrid thing.  

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I got pictures of another specimen.  Either it's a genuine but poorly prepped specimen or it's a mass produced fake.  Haha, but I could get it cheaper, only $400 :P

ETPF9755.JPG

NJUF3685.JPG

PLEF0123.JPG