Mazon Creek: Some kind of arthropod I think

sloth

Sorry, i don't even see a fossil present. Arthropleura has a very distinctive texture as well. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

6 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

Sorry, i don't even see a fossil present. Arthropleura has a very distinctive texture as well. 

With the pics provided, I agree. I do not see any type of Mazon Creek fauna or flora.

6 hours ago, fossilized6s said:

18 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

With the pics provided, I agree. I do not see any type of Mazon Creek fauna or flora.

11 minutes ago, Yvie said:

Looks like the sedimentary rock I get excited about over here.

Thanks everyone. (Sigh) I'm really glad I'm moving back to Florida. 

6 minutes ago, sloth said:

The fossils are a lot easier to identify in Florida, then they are at Mazon Creek.

1 minute ago, Nimravis said:

The fossils are a lot easier to identify in Florida, then they are at Mazon Creek.

I know, I can tell you what a short faced bear's metatarsal looks like down there! Here I spend hours wondering just if what I have is a fossil at all. 

In all fairness, to those who are not experienced enough to have the "eye", many Mazon Creek fossils look a lot like mineral stains or blobs.  They are probably one of the most difficult faunas to work with.  

Don

4 hours ago, sloth said:

Personally i wouldn't be discouraged on your attempts. Very few people can claim the finding of Arthropleura material from the Francis Creek. It takes a while to learn what to look for and what not to while collecting and identifying Mazon material. Purchasing both the fauna and flora books from ESCONI has helped me a ton. I highly recommend them. 

And you won't see the thousands of dud nodules I've cycled through only to find a few hundred fossils (most not display worthy). It's definitely a numbers game, a knowledge on nodule shapes, locations and a bit of luck. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

On 11/28/2017 at 9:19 PM, FossilDAWG said:

In all fairness, to those who are not experienced enough to have the "eye", many Mazon Creek fossils look a lot like mineral stains or blobs.  They are probably one of the most difficult faunas to work with.  

Don

On 11/28/2017 at 11:31 PM, fossilized6s said:

Personally i wouldn't be discouraged on your attempts. Very few people can claim the finding of Arthropleura material from the Francis Creek. It takes a while to learn what to look for and what not to while collecting and identifying Mazon material. Purchasing both the fauna and flora books from ESCONI has helped me a ton. I highly recommend them. 

And you won't see the thousands of dud nodules I've cycled through only to find a few hundred fossils (most not display worthy). It's definitely a numbers game, a knowledge on nodule shapes, locations and a bit of luck. 

Haha, thanks guys. I do have some actual fossils from the site and it is very rewarding when you can definitively say you have a fossilized animal from 300 million years ago! It's my very big maybe pile I'm struggling with now.

Archived