Miocene Whale Recovered From & for Display at VA State Park

SailingAlongToo

2 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

This is what the skull looked like yesterday. As @MarcoSr and @Boesse said above, Dr. Weems is waiting on a couple of other folks to examine it. Next step is putting the puzzle back together.

20200215_150327_resized.thumb.jpg.c4061191f4e0a6b8ca0a6cd66f7bdcc7.jpg

What makes putting this specimen together more complicated is that there are pieces of the lower jaws also mixed in.  So you need the real experts like Dr. Weems to help to get this done right.  What should also be mentioned is the hundreds of hours and the number of people that it took to just get to this state.

Lee, the baleen whale excavated from Stratford Hall probably 5 or 6 years ago, was partially prepped by the Calvert Marine Museum and is now back at Stratford Hall.  Dr. Weems has also helped with this whale.  Lee is also in a bunch of pieces and will need to be put back together just like this specimen.  I've seen four of these baleen whale specimens from Virginia.  They all were in pieces like this.  It seems that their skulls and jaws are much more fragile than some of the other smaller Cetaceans that I've helped excavate.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 5

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 2 weeks later...