Trip to the Lake Waco Research Area

Brazos Aaron

Took a little trip out to the Lake Waco Research Area a few days ago (which, by the way, will be off limits for 6 weeks unless you go get a permit before the second week of December).  This was my third or fourth time out there and I definitely came up with my best finds from there to date.  Got the usual pryitized ammonites and bivalves, 2 beat up shark teeth, 1 tiny fish vertebra, and lots of pieces of echinoids, possibly coenholectypus.  I did find one really nice shark tooth by almost sitting on it, a couple of mystery ammonites, and finally got a complete coenholectypus.  Saw lots and lots of cool epibionts on the bivalve shells.  If anyone has any ID's, I'd love to hear them, especially the red rocks.

Thanks!

20171119_173310-1.jpg

20171114_130022-1.jpg

20171119_173931-1.jpg

20171119_172611-1.jpg

20171119_172628-1.jpg

20171119_172837-1.jpg

20171119_173714-1.jpg

20171115_144524-1-1.jpg

20171119_173637-1.jpg

20171119_173724-1.jpg

Great finds.  I love the large Ech you found.  I haven't found a complete one like that yet. I'm jealous.  Also I will be creating a new thread about the CoE office closure.  It's not as bad as we thought.

Beautiful finds! How does an out-of-stater obtain a permit? I will be driving down to the Houston area for the holidays and might be able to make a detour.

39 minutes ago, aek said:

Beautiful finds! How does an out-of-stater obtain a permit? I will be driving down to the Houston area for the holidays and might be able to make a detour.

Contact the Waco office for the Corp of Engineers.  They can fax a permit form for you to fill out and then fax back to them.

Lake Waco
Fort Worth District Map
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Waco Lake Office
3801 Zoo Park Dr.
Waco, TX 76708
Email Address

Hours: M-F 8:00am - 4:30pm
Phone: (254) 756-5359
Fax: (254) 756-3433

Congratulations. Those are some excellent finds. Love the ammonites, gastropods, and echinoid parts. Adding this site to my bucket list. 

I was wondering about the two small pyrite Turrilites.

Did you notice they have directional spiral that are opposite from one another. I too have some I collected years ago.

Note: You may want to treat the pyrite specimens with a preservative or they will "Dust" away......

Once they are clean and dry give them a light coating of naptha with a drop or two of clear fingernail polish dissolved in it.

I treated some 20 years ago and still have them.

I have a coenholectypus that looks VERY similar to yours complete.

It is in my Gallery.

Question, did you stray into the spillway area?

Even more pyritized fossils (I just read two trip posts that had them) - wow, wow, wow!!! :drool:

I also love your tiny echinoid - it's adorable!!!

Your 3rd pic looks like a partial Mariella, a heterotroph ammonite. They usually have 4 spirals whether big or small.

There was an ammonite ID post by @Nimravis a couple weeks ago that had ammonites that looked very similar to some in the first pic. I think IDs were obtained on both.

On November 30, 2017 at 10:13 AM, RyanNREMTP said:

Contact the Waco office for the Corp of Engineers.  They can fax a permit form for you to fill out and then fax back to them.

Lake Waco
Fort Worth District Map
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Waco Lake Office
3801 Zoo Park Dr.
Waco, TX 76708
Email Address

Hours: M-F 8:00am - 4:30pm
Phone: (254) 756-5359
Fax: (254) 756-3433

Very nice finds!!!!

Great finds. I was going to stop by today on my way home from Austin but it will be a bit too muddy for me today.

@bone2stone

Thanks for the tip.  I haven't treated any yet and was researching methods.  I didn't notice the directional spiral, but that's pretty neat.  I followed the back creek all the way to where it converges with the Bosque, but didn't venture into the spillway area because of all the stories on here of people getting yelled at :D.  It was in the bed of the creek that I found the coenholectypus, just waiting for me to pick it up.   I really would love to get permission and have free reign of the spillway one day....

@KimTexan

I posted that ammonite on the fossil ID page and had several come up with Turrilites brazoensis.  Really cool!

The spillway is considered dangerous since every once and a while they do controlled releases and it would flood quickly...or something like that was how it was explained to us by the ranger...

But, dang, before we (you know who you are ;)) were yelled at and run off we found some tasty treats...

Archived