Dinosaur Bone Fossil from Madagascar

Crazyhen

Hi, guys, fossils from Madagascar again.  Recently I found out that lots of rocks claimed to be dinosaur bone fossils are imported from Madagascar to China and they are polished to make ash trays or other utensils.  To me, this destroys the scientific value of the fossils.  I have attached photos of some of the unpolished fossils.  Are they really dinosaur bones?

By the way, I love this forum, and you guys are really helpful and have a lot of expertise.

IMG_8587.jpg

IMG_8588.jpg

IMG_8589.jpg

IMG_8590.jpg

IMG_8592.jpg

IMG_8593.jpg

Looks like typical, random "chunk-a-saurus."

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Definitely a bone, but that's all we can know for sure, as its difficult to identify anything off a shapeless chunk like that, so people simply call it a chunkosaur. 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

8 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

Definitely a bone, but that's all we can know for sure, as its difficult to identify anything off a shapeless chunk like that, so people simply call it a chunkosaur. 

So, it's a bone from a dinosaur but we just couldn't be sure which species it is?

21 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

So, it's a bone from a dinosaur but we just couldn't be sure which species it is?

More like a bone from anything that could fit that size. I think the term chunkasaurus is supposed to be a generic term for any bone that is unidentifiable, not just dinosaurs.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

2 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

More like a bone from anything that could fit that size. I think the term chunkasaurus is supposed to be a generic term for any bone that is unidentifiable, not just dinosaurs.

You would be correct. We use "chunkosaurus" and "fraglodon" all the time :D

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Just now, Jesuslover340 said:

You would be correct. We use "chunkosaurus" and "fraglodon" all the time :D

speaking of fraglodon, I think it actually would work out if that applied to any unidentifiable tooth. I mean, the word is literally fragment + odon which simply means tooth, so it could still make sense when applied to any tooth, not just Carcharocles teeth. :zzzzscratchchin:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017/11/30 at 4:06 AM, Rockwood said:

If a dinosaur bone ash tray introduces people to the concept of deep time I'm all for it.

I want to show you guys some of the polished dinosaur bones from Madagascar.  It's said that while raw fossils could not be imported or exported from China, polished or worked ones are exempted. 

JSZE2926.JPG

MYWC4567.JPG

PSSX5758.JPG

HRJD3970.JPG

Wow, why would someone polish that? What a waste. That seems like it might have had some identifiable features.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I have seen fossils from Madagascar that have not been polished so not totally sure about that and yes that includes dinosaur teeth and bones.