Egg Fossil from Yunnan

Crazyhen

My friend found a clutch of fossil eggs from Qujing, Yunnan.  The eggs are about 4cm in size and it is a large clutch.  Any idea what species does the eggs belong to?

IMG_8604.JPG

IMG_8603.JPG

IMG_8606.JPG

IMG_8607.JPG

IMG_8608.JPG

IMG_8609.JPG

Looks more like concretions not eggs. I don't have a geologic map of China at hand, but I think Qujing, Yunnan is more Silurian to Devonian and not Jurassic or Cretaceous. Too old for dinosaurs and also too old for vertebrate eggs that size. You could only find fish eggs.

Cheers from Shanghai

Thomas

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Very interesting piece. Caliche nodules or pisoliths come to mind. These are nodules associated with fossil soil horizons. They can be very abundant. More details about the location would help.

Cannot see any eggshell material which would say geologic especially if its Devonian in age.  However if you can examine the nodules closely and determine if any eggshell is present need to reassess our thinking.  

There is a definite structure in the lighter colored material. We may be zoomed in enough for it to be crystalline though.

Sponge ?

Here is a small egg I am just finishing prepping of similar size. I would suggest that POSSIBLY I am seeing a similar texture on the closeups in the darker material. The lighter colored areas could be calcite that would need to be prepped off. Not at all sure about this, but worth a look. On the other hand, the irregular shapes would seem to indicate that these are in fact concretions.

IMG_1544.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Can you tell me if these feel sticky when you touch them with wet fingers?

No, it doesn't feel sticky when I touched them with wet finger.  A few more photos of the "egg" after I made it wet.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Are the black areas just on the surface of the rock or embedded within it?  Can you scratch them off?  Reminds me of manganese dendrites but the pattern is not consistent with classical dendrites.

5 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Are the black areas just on the surface of the rock or embedded within it?  Can you scratch them off?  Reminds me of manganese dendrites but the pattern is not consistent with classical dendrites.

Yes, I can scratch off the black spots on the surface of the rock.  It's also rather soft that I can use my fingernail to scratch it.

7 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Yes, I can scratch off the black spots on the surface of the rock.  It's also rather soft that I can use my fingernail to scratch it.

The black is probably some sort of organic growth like mold on a bathroom wall.  You could probably remove it with bleach.

You can take one of those eggs and cut it half. It might be interesting to see how it looks inside.

Also, are the "eggs" of the same dimension? If they are, that might exclude further hypotheses.

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library