Dinosaur Bone Fossil Radioactivity

Crazyhen

Hi, I got a few chunks of dinosaur bones about 10-30cm long and 20-30cm wide.  I used a Geiger counter to check for their radioactivity.  The readings ranged from 0.28 usv/hr to 1.9 usv/hr.  For those with 1.9 usv/hr, should I be concerned about the potential risk to my health if I put them on display in my living room?

Very safe.

Am I reading this right that you are talking about micro sieverts?

Average background radiation is 3 millisieverts per year or 3000 micro sieverts. Your bone would give you much less than this.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Doctor Mud said:

Very safe.

Am I reading this right that you are talking about micro sieverts?

Average background radiation is 3 millisieverts per year or 3000 micro sieverts. Your bone would give you much less than this.

Thanks, Dr.  Yes, it’s microsieverts.  But 3msv/yr us 0.34usv/hr.  Background radiation in my room is 0.3usv/hr.  My bone specimens are as high as 1.9usv/hr.  Still safe?

Radiation exposure is normally measured in millisieverts.

If you sat next to your bone 24/7 for a year you would get about 17 millisieverts per year.

This is about the same dose as a single CT scan.

The lowest dose where an increased risk of cancer has been detected is 100 millisieverts per year.

I don't imagine you will be in the room 24/7 and you can work out your dose, e.g. If you are like me you try to sleep for 8 hours a day (in another room) probably work 8 hours a day. You might therefore get 7 millisieverts per year. 

Thanks, Doc, any concern about Radon produced due to decay of radioactive elements present in the bone fossil?  And I suppose the amount of fossils also affects the amount of exposure.  As I have several pieces of dinosaur bones, should I put them under some plastic cover to minimize the exposure?