Mosasaur vert and something else

PatBronson

One of these I believe is a mosasaur vertebrae, but the other could just be a rock. It seems to have a few markings that seemed more biological than geological to me.

DSC_2479.jpg

DSC_2480.jpg

The larger one certainly seems to be bone material, the smaller one, I cant see any bone, i'm afraid. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

15 minutes ago, ynot said:

I do not see enough detail on the big one for an id, so chunk-a-soarus.

Would like to see other views of the smaller one.

IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_7174.JPG

IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_8523.JPG

IMG_9233.JPG

IMG_9890.JPG

I agree with the smaller piece not being a bone- I think the object seems to be solid built (contrary to the porous and hollow bone material) and has had a colorful scheme of hard, "impacted" (Did I use the wrong word?) materials. The texture also seems too smooth, and the cracks clearly don't show any pores. 

The bigger boat seems more promising to me. It shows a porous and very bone-like texture, and the top and bottom seem to show signs of natural wear. However, I think that the shape only resembles that of a vertebra but not exactly similar to one, so like ynot said, we'll have to call it a chunkosaurus for now.

But is it possible to also state where exactly you found this? It could actually narrow down our choices a lot.

But nice finds thou! :hammer01::dinothumb::trex:

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Small one looks geologic and the big one looks like a centrum and since youre in the NSR and one end appears convex mosasur is a good possibility 

• I found this Informative 1

One end is convex, the other end is concave, that suggest it can be of Mosasaur.
The other specimen looks like a rock.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for everyone who's weighed in. The one that I believe to be a Mosassaur vert was found right by one of the bridge columns near the steps at the bridge in Ladonia (North Sulphur River). It was only my second trip there and I was pretty excited to pick it up. Didn't find anything useful the whole rest of the day except for a bag full of petrified wood and some larger clam fossils.