Any trilobite sites in Alsace?

indominus rex

Hello, I am asking the community members who live in or near Alsace, if they know any good trilobite fossil sites because me and a few friends have been planing to do a fossil trip and we want to know whether there are some fossil grounds worth visiting near or in Alsace.

best regards, indominus rex

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Alsace in France are mostly Jurrasic and Triasic deposits; so more chance to find Ammonoids there. 

for trilobites you need Paleozoic deposits . the closest deposits of that period to the Alsace are the French/Belgian border or Germany. that's still a 5 or 6 h drive from there.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

There are lower Carboniferous trilobites in the vicinity of Thann, Alsace. 

You will need to do some additional research to discover these localities.

text from Hahn & Hahn 1993:

S-Vogesen - Aus der Region von Thann sind trilobiten von mehreren Fund-Punkten bekannt (siehe Hahn, Hahn & Maass 1981 : S. 2-7), die unterschiedlichen stratigraphischen Niveaus angehören. Eine erste Erwähnung erfolgte bereits durch Jourdan 1863 (fide Julien 1896 : S. 248), eine erste systematische Darstellung durch Schumacher (1903). Die Bearbeitung durch Hahn, Hahn & Maass (1981) hat folgende Taxa ergeben: Linguaphillipsia paupercula HAHN & HAHN, 1981, Cummingella (C.) cf. jonesii (PORTLOCK, 1843), Bollandia cf. alekto (HAHN & HAHN, 1970), B. cf. frechi (SCUPIN, 1900), Brachymetopus (Brachymetopus) cf. maccoyi (PORTLOCK, 1843) und B. (Conimetopus) vosegus HAHN & HAHN, 1981.

S-Vosges - From the region of Thann, trilobites are known from several find points (see Hahn, Hahn & Maass 1981: 2-7), which belong to different stratigraphic levels. A first mention was already made by Jourdan 1863 (fide Julien 1896: p. 248), a first systematic account by Schumacher (1903). The processing by Hahn, Hahn & Maass (1981) has shown the following taxa: Linguaphillipsia paupercula HAHN & HAHN, 1981, Cummingella (C.) cf. jonesii (PORTLOCK, 1843), Bollandia cf. alekto (HAHN & HAHN, 1970), B. cf. frechi (SCUPIN, 1900), Brachymetopus (Brachymetopus) cf. maccoyi (PORTLOCK, 1843) and B. (Conimetopus) vosegus HAHN & HAHN, 1981.

Hammel, C. (1996)

Une faune nouvelle de trilobites (Brachymetopus, Namuropyge) dans le Viséen des Vosges du Sud. Conséquences stratigraphiques et paléoécologiques.

A new fauna of trilobites (Brachymetopus, Namuropyge) in the Visean of the south Vosges. Stratigraphic and paleoecological consequences.

Geobios, 29(6):745-755

Hahn, G., & Hahn, R. (1993)
Revision der von Julien 1896 beschriebenen trilobiten aus dem Unter-Karbon frankreichs. 
Revision of the Trilobites described by Julien 1896 from the lower Carboniferous of France.
Geobios, 26(1):84-104

Hahn, G., Hahn, R., & Maass, R. (1981)
Trilobiten aus dem Unter-Karbon der S-Vogesen. 
Lower Carboniferous trilobites from the Southern Vosges, France.
Oberrheinische Geologische Abhandlungen, 30(1-2):1-26

Schumacher, R. (1903)

Über Trilobitenreste aus dem Unterkarbon im östlichen Teil des Rossbergmassivs in den Südvogesen.

About trilobite remains from the lower Carboniferous in the eastern part of the Rossberg massif in the southern Vosges.

Zeitschrift der Deutschen geologischen Gesellschaft, 55:(3)432-438

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi,

I don't know Alsace :blush:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Alright guys thanks, you guys are the best, but about Thann I think I have to dig really deep to find these sites, I will see thanks

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

I'm like @Coco, i don't know Alsace, but you could take a look on the site of BRGM (Bureau de Recherche Géologique et Minière) where you can visualize the geologic map of the area you choose. Choose "Infoterre version simplifiée", write your localisation and then in "données", choose "carte géologique". You click on the part that interests you and a window will open that indicates you the geologic age. In "Légendes", you click on "Accéder à la légende dynamique et aux notices", in the notice, you'll find more details on the geology and on the most common fossils you can find there.

I've just done it and i saw that near Bitschviller-lès-Thann there is a devonian-carboniferous stratum called "épisode du Crémillot", a volcanic "épisode".

Good trip.:)

Sophie.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived