Iridescent ammonite

Doug Smith

I'm looking at buying an iridescent ammonite for my project. It's not cut in half. I'm having trouble finding out if the iridescent color goes completely through the fossil and displays it on the cut side. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Photo of one is attached. 

Thanks, Doug 

e8d76a2b7a220ed5bdb7dc59051e4026.jpg

It doesn't go all the way through. These are often colourful inside, but not iridescent. The colours you can see there are the result of the compacted original shell material, which has then been polished. The shell layer is very thin - underneath it, you have the sutures, and then the calcite-filled shell chambers.

• I found this Informative 2

The nacre on these shells is responsible for the iridescence. Since there is no nacre inside the shell, cutting it in half will only yield chambers replaced by other minerals, such as calcite. Yet, I've seen plenty of interesting minerals in these Madagascar Ammonites, including an unusual pink mineral in a Cleoniceras that now resides in my collection. 

• I found this Informative 1

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.