December 2017 Finds of the Month

Fossildude19

12 hours ago, thair said:

I find disarticulated groups of pieces here in central Texas carboniferous that are very similar to what makes yours. Congratulations on the find

Hello! Thank you! I have also seen only disarticulated parts before. Like these

4 hours ago, Kanopus said:

Hello! Thank you! I have also seen only disarticulated parts before. Like these

Yes that's what I am talking about. I will take a couple pictures this weekend when I get home.

I'll pitch in a vertebrate entry:

Ichthyosaurus rostrum fragment with teeth.

Charmouth Mudstone Formation, Lyme Regis, UK. 

195 million years old (Lower Jurassic). 

Found on December 17th. 

5a4277b594ac9_Asfoundichthyjaw.JPG.4c802fa700b09065801d6bbe6b337e3e.JPG

IMG_3309.thumb.JPG.baf7bafc9cd38588bfc5e379044b9141.JPG

IMG_3325.thumb.JPG.6032e13ac5d768470189a1a619790e40.JPG

IMG_3336.thumb.JPG.b9702cbcdd4615ca1401a2b8e1df87ea.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

I found this jaw in June but it has been with one Peat Burns until recently as he was making a cast of it.  I believe it to be from an early camel, Poebrotherium sp.  I also believe it to be from a young animal based on the lack of wear on the teeth.  I have been doing prep work on it for the past week or so and am not quite done, but I wanted to show off a little :) 

Discovered June, 2017

Poebrotherium sp. 

Oligocene, 30-35 mya 

White River Formation, possibly Brule formation sub-unit

Chadron, Nebraska

P_20170616_134127.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I had a pretty successful December. I wasn't successful enough to put my photos and words in one post though!

My effort for the invertibrate category is a Cenoceras sp. found on 8th December and prepped by my friend Mark and my vertibrate effort is an Ichthyosaur sp. paddle and scatter of ribs and verts found on 16th December. This won't be prepped for a while so is as found.

Both Lower Jurassic from the Lias of Lyme Regis, UK. Approx 195myo.

Good luck to all.

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by MattFossil

On 12/26/2017 at 12:12 PM, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

Wow, I thought it was incredible that you had found the front portion, but you have the whole enchilada including a side of beans and rice.  Wowzer! Absolutely fantastic!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I found this December 4, 2017 on the Brazos River in SE Texas. Nine articulated glyptodon osteoderms from pleistocene river gravel! 

glyptodon2017.JPG

DSCN0137.JPG

Being close to the end of the month and loving competitions. I decided to submit my entry. This was found the first week of December in NE Oklahoma.  Devonian to Carboniferous time. Just a small section was showing so I had to expose more.  This is my first attempt with using an air scribe.  It may not be the best and may not be done all the way.  But it is something to share my accomplishment as a beginner.  It looks to me like a Brachiopod and maybe one of the spirifer species. I know it can't compete with all the great finds and preps entered each month but last is better than not showing up.

Date of discovery

Scientific or Common name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region found

Date found: Early December

Name: Brachiopod indet.

Where: NE Oklahoma

5a47f6a8df780_20171211_1647001.thumb.jpg.1f697da479f72c9c601ba05938debf85.jpg   5a47f7cc82c33_20171219_1010201.thumb.jpg.1f26c9e5d05b20401e452208787c4be2.jpg

Even had a crinoid stem hollow under the shell

5a47f8634284f_20171219_1009251.thumb.jpg.02ce8b95a36bc853cc76e628cfba322c.jpg

My first mammal predator tooth as well as tooth in a jaw, seems to be from a unknown Pleistocene terrestrial predator based both on how it looks & plenty of turtle shell/ Glyptodon scutes nearby. Hopefully I can see Dr. Hulbert again at the coming up Fossil Fest in Tampa & get a better ID or at least likely candidates 

Discovered 12/24/17

Peace River, Pleistocene

Unknown carnivore Partial Premolar/Carnassial 

035 edited.jpg

008 edited.jpg

014 edited.jpg

Slightly just on time, but here is my last-minute entry!

Found this beauty during a trip with Cris & Kyle from Fossil Voyages (trip report on its way).

Probably won't win the contest, especially if it is rivalling against that incredible camel jaw from @Cowboy Paleontologist !!! Congrats man, what a gorgeous specimen! Oh, and @Sacha John, Jeff sure made a good reccomendation! That is an amazing sand dollar. I'll have fun prepping the other one you found and then gave me once I am done sorting through all my material; thanks again for it!

Dire Wolf Jaw (partial)

Canis dirus

Santa Fe River, FL, US

Pleistocene sediments (--> unnamed formation)

Pleistocene

IMG_4377.JPG

IMG_4378.JPG

IMG_4379.JPG

IMG_4380.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hi there, to had a bit of a trilo touch, to the invertebrate and since the time is now ticking,

I will enter one of my last trip find.

The preparation isn't even finished but that is how i will enter it....

Epoch :Llandeilian (-460 MA)

Specie Ectillaennus Giganteus

Date of find : december 29th 2017

Locality : La Dominelais, Brittany, France

Size : 5cm X 6 cm

ecti-1.jpg

ecti-2.jpg

11 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Slightly just on time, but here is my last-minute entry!

Found this beauty during a trip with Cris & Kyle from Fossil Voyages (trip report on its way).

Probably won't win the contest, especially if it is rivalling against that incredible camel jaw from @Cowboy Paleontologist !!! Congrats man, what a gorgeous specimen! Oh, and @Sacha John, Jeff sure made a good reccomendation! That is an amazing sand dollar. I'll have fun prepping the other one you found and then gave me once I am done sorting through all my material; thanks again for it!

Santa Fe River, FL, US

Pleistocene sediments (--> unnamed formation)

Pleistocene

Cool jaw Max, funny all of us here from the Xmas Eve trip are in contention lol, regardless of one being in the invert category. But nice jaw, looking forward to a trip report 

Edit: found your trip report, nvm