slhalste

Hello,

I'm new to the site. Recently, I found what I thought was a petrified banana in a creek bed. However, someone told me this is a Smilodon tooth, but it measures about 6 inches in length, and not quite two inches at the widest.  I'm still betting on a banana:) Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

5a22d624609bc_sabertooth.JPG.83e79aa62b46a6ee735838f17a514eea.JPG

2 hours ago, slhalste said:

Hello,

I'm new to the site. Recently, I found what I thought was a petrified banana in a creek bed. However, someone told me this is a Smilodon tooth, but it measures about 6 inches in length, and not quite two inches at the widest.  I'm still betting on a banana:) Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

5a22d624609bc_sabertooth.JPG.83e79aa62b46a6ee735838f17a514eea.JPG

Hello and welcome to the fossil forum!

I cannot help with ID,  but for those that can help you they will require pictures from different angles as well as a general geographic location of the creek it was found in.

Best of luck!

Steve

I'm not the best at taking photos, but I will try to upload more. It was found in a creek bed in Elizabethtown, Kentucky during a dry spell. 

Thanks for responding!

I will try to take more photos. I hate to admit this, but I will have to wait on one of my children to come home to upload. The reason I thought Saber/Smilodon is because when they googled the photo that was one of the suggestions. From what I found there were different cat species that it seems to look like, but it also seems to favor a seal tooth. From just reading on different sites, it doesn't seem that many, if any, dinosaur fossils have ever been found in Kentucky, so I kindly ruled out dino teeth. 

I think it is a over ripe banana and those are my favorite- I don’t want you to get fruit flies in your house, so why don’t you just put it in a small priority box and send it to me and I will make a banana sandwich and get rid of the flies.  :ighappy:

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, Nimravis said:

I think it is a over ripe banana and those are my favorite- I don’t want you to get fruit flies in your house, so why don’t you just put it in a small priority box and send it to me and I will make a banana sandwich and get rid of the flies.  :ighappy:

Well, what are rotten bananas going for these days? LOL

16 minutes ago, Kane said:

A very big bear tooth? :headscratch:

I can make out some striations at the bottom. I'm sure @Harry Pristis would probably know what this is.

Thanks for the advice! I listed it on his page.

1 minute ago, slhalste said:

Well, what are rotten bananas going for these days? LOL

Thanks for the advice! I listed it on his page.

I believe about .49 lb, but seeing that it is almost Christmas, I will give you $5.12 - Lol. Good luck with the id and welcome to the Forum, you will love it.

1 minute ago, Nimravis said:

I believe about .49 lb, but seeing that it is almost Christmas, I will give you $5.12 - Lol. Good luck with the id and welcome to the Forum, you will love it.

Thanks! I have already found it to be very informative.

42 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I was thinking whale tooth but I am mostly wrong with this type of fossil iD . 

I thought maybe a whale tooth after searching more. 

Thanks for the response!

54 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Hehe, banana for me. 

@Boesse

Just as good of a guess as any I've had.

59 minutes ago, Bullsnake said:

At the risk of lowering my ID 'batting average', I have to say it looks kind of like a bivalve.

I've not looked at many fossils prior to this so it could be.

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I was thinking whale tooth but I am mostly wrong with this type of fossil iD . 

After seeing the new photos I think I am with Bobby for whales tooth. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, steelhead9 said:

After seeing the new photos I think I am with Bobby for whales tooth. 

Bobby may be correct. As far as I can find few if any have ever been found in Kentucky.

Sorry i don’t have any idea about fossil that have been found in Kentucky. I was just guessing at the look of the fossil. Just trying to add a few idea for you to look into. Try hippo tusk my second guess . They is only so much info I can get from a photo but there will be someone on this forum who hunts in Kentucky, you just need to wait for a more educated response. cool fossil anyway. Cheers Bobby 

6 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Sorry i don’t have any idea about fossil that have been found in Kentucky. I was just guessing at the look of the fossil. Just trying to add a few idea for you to look into. Try hippo tusk my second guess . They is only so much info I can get from a photo but there will be someone on this forum who hunts in Kentucky, you just need to wait for a more educated response. cool fossil anyway. Cheers Bobby 

Thanks! That is sound advice. I sent the photos to the "Kentucky Genealogical Society" for further insight. Most fossils in Kentucky are found in areas where coal is found or limestone deposits. However, this being found in Elizabethtown would be a first if indeed it is a tooth of some sort. It's crazy to think big cat fossils have been found in surrounding states, but none here. Last night I was asked how much I would sell it for, but without not knowing what it is I think I will just hold on to it for a while. I appreciate your insight!

Steve

If it is big a cat I would be really surprised but I am known expert at all . I too would love it too be a cat.  If I was you I would take it a museum and see if they would look at it. They however the may not help you , going by other peoples past posts . The thing about selling fossil is they only worth what someone will pay for them and a big cat would hopefully  be good money. Just a heads up, please do not ask for any monetary valuation on this site as it is veto.

good luck and keep us all updated with your research and with what the KGS say. 

cheers Bobby 

2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

If it is big a cat I would be really surprised but I am known expert at all . I too would love it too be a cat.  If I was you I would take it a museum and see if they would look at it. They however the may not help you , going by other peoples past posts . The thing about selling fossil is they only worth what someone will pay for them and a big cat would hopefully  be good money. Just a heads up, please do not ask for any monetary valuation on this site as it is veto.

good luck and keep us all updated with your research and what the KGS say. 

cheers Bobby 

Having a possible vertebrate fossil found in Kentucky would be priceless for me no matter what the species. However, after doing some research, and getting great feedback, I too doubt it is a big cat species. If it does end up being something significant, it will most likely be donated for educational purposes in my area because there are very few examples. I guess you can tell that I'm excited about the possibilities. This will make finding that it is a dung sample difficult:) I will let you know what the KGS says.

Thanks!

Steve

Hi steve fingers crossed it is something interesting and that is fantastic idea to donate it. Thank you and I will keep an eye on this post. I don’t think it is a coprolite  sample but if it was it would have lots of people on this site very interested in find out about it. 

cheers Bobby 

• 2 years later...