Mammoth tooth

Aurelius

I got this beauty in the post today, and I'm quite pleased with it. It came as part of a small collection of fossils, all purchased from the same shop, probably in the late 1990s. Although most of them came with the original shop labels, they contained very little pertinent information, and the label had come loose on this piece.

I know absolutely nothing about mammoth teeth; please can anyone assist in identifying the species, how old it might be, or possibly even where it may have been found? I don't know if the preservation and species together would allow someone to make a determination as to where it could have been discovered. I was hoping it might be a North Sea example, but as I say, I don't have much of a clue.

It's 9 inches long and 2.5 inches thick. 

20171202_140349.jpg

20171202_171704.jpg

20171202_171714.jpg

20171202_171720.jpg

20171202_171730.jpg

I would agree with mammoth and i've seen that sort of yellowish sediment in the groves on North Sea specimens, but couldn't be certain of that as the locality.

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It's a nice molar. :)
I think, this similar topic might help a little:

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I would agree with mammoth and i've seen that sort of yellowish sediment in the groves on North Sea specimens, but couldn't be certain of that as the locality.

I also think it does have the colouring of a brown bank fossil. I have a couple of mammoth teeth for the North Sea and are very similar. Becoming rare nowadays days as Dredging for flat fish in the North Sea is not really the done thing. So not that many been found by fishermen. But I can’t say where it is from just that it looks like it maybe.

• I found this Informative 2