Bone from Ramanessin?

Wessock

Trying to ID the 2nd piece from the left. Stopped by Ramanessin for a quick glance and found a chunk that looks like bone, but I'm more use to invertebrate PA material. Any ideas what it might be from? 

20171202_094111.jpg

20171202_094152.jpg

Closer pictures may help, but I suspect it’s lignite. This is carbonized wood, I haven’t been there but I’ve seeb incredible amounts of it at dinosaur park (I know not really contemporaneous) which looks similar. Not impossible it could have washed in from somewhere else, but just my two cents.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks for the input. Here are a few more angles. The pattern texture on the surface is on both the top and bottom sides as well. It's actually easier to see when zooming in on a pic, but there appears to be tubular structures running through the center. 

20171203_080812~01.jpg

20171203_080718~01.jpg

20171203_080730~01.jpg

Several examples of shark/ray cartilage to compare your specimen to.  Pictures taken directly of the ends of your specimen to see if the below patterns are present would be the most useful.

image.jpeg.08c670be032a09c19d5f8b42fee7d272.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7c5c005b618a0687172f013a655dc7c5.jpeg

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Also to me. How common of a find is this, especially at Ramanessin? I've only been twice, the first time with a DVPS trip, but nobody found anything like it that trip or mentioned cartilage among their past finds. The funny thing is I stopped by hoping for some cool vertebrae or non-shark teeth, but the most interesting things that I ended up with were shark cartilage and a huge goblin shark tooth. 

Definitely not shark cartilage. It would have to be flatter and the hexagonal pattern would have to be more consistent. I would say that it is a modern piece of wood that has been bored by some insect. The reddish coloration is due to the iron minerals in the stream.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

It's possible that it's wood, I don't know Ramanessin material well, but it's definitely fossilized and not soft just to be clear. The pics also make it look more rust colored than in person due to me trying to play with the lighting to get the most detail to show. 

I’m in the cable camp now (old type of hard rubber) but I would love to make a new guess, series of rhizoliths?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I too see wire, cable or slag or some combination of those. 

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

After looking at the pictures again I agree with @Al Dente, A piece of cable.

The diamond pattern on the sides is where the cover of the cable was.

Is the piece magnetic?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

After looking at the pictures again I agree with @Al Dente, A piece of cable.

The diamond pattern on the sides is where the cover of the cable was.

Is the piece magnetic?

I’m leaning toward cable, too.  The clincher would be if the strands are metallic.  Depending on the material they may or may not be magnetic.  But since this looks more like a structural cable rather than a telephone cable it is probably iron rather than copper. If you scrape a strand with a knife to remove the outer oxidized surface and see something shiny underneath it is probably metallic.

I'll go with cable then since most think that's what it is. It's not magnetic and a piece I broke off didn't appear metalic. Oh well. Considering the location it's not surprising I guess. These are the issues you don't deal with digging for trilobites and ferns in the middle of Nowhere PA. Thanks everyone. 

16 minutes ago, Wessock said:

I'll go with cable then since most think that's what it is. It's not magnetic and a piece I broke off didn't appear metalic. Oh well. Considering the location it's not surprising I guess. These are the issues you don't deal with digging for trilobites and ferns in the middle of Nowhere PA. Thanks everyone. 

Do not discard the specimen.  Just in case it might be something else.  Sometimes pictures can be very deceiving.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Oh I'm not throwing it out. I'll show it to members of DVPS that have more experience with Ramanessin material just to be sure it's nothing. 

22 hours ago, Al Dente said:

piece of cable with individual strands of twisted wire

It looks like cable to me too.

Archived