bones, sandstone, and rocks

Roberta NJ CA

Strange fossil - this fossil has it all.... white solid bone (lick test>?), hardened brown non-rock like material (told possible brain encasing?), all encased in sandstone, hardened sand, and brownish marrow like substance.   When I first came across this (along with many other from Scotts Valley, CA - approx. 40-50 years ago found by my father in a ravine) Ive been attempting to uncover it (it was a large blank piece of sandstone).   probably not the smartest thing to do but this one came easy (or shall I say easier) that the many others.  I have several more pics if interested, but could only send these per page.

7 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Sorry, but I’m not seeing any photos at all. :(

Nope, me either.

1 hour ago, Roberta NJ CA said:

Strange fossil - this fossil has it all.... white solid bone (lick test>?), hardened brown non-rock like material (told possible brain encasing?), all encased in sandstone, hardened sand, and brownish marrow like substance.   When I first came across this (along with many other from Scotts Valley, CA - approx. 40-50 years ago found by my father in a ravine) Ive been attempting to uncover it (it was a large blank piece of sandstone).   probably not the smartest thing to do but this one came easy (or shall I say easier) that the many others.  I have several more pics if interested, but could only send these per page.

Posting pics: here and there    

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

26 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Hmmm - I'm seeing concrete. :)

I'm afraid I'm seeing that too, somewhat weathered. At the most it's some kind of conglomerate, but it could just as easily be something man-made from a construction site.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I agree with the others. I think I see some mortar (the white patch by your thumb in the second picture).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Can you get a closer, better quality picture of this part? There is some bone that can look a bit like this, all crumbly and red, but I can’t tell from this pic if that is what it is.

76A583B9-F914-4A91-960C-E4AE872906AE.thumb.jpeg.27a98f7106d939430f16f356a7590c34.jpeg

And this area. There is a hole there on the left too that looked dark red, kind of rusty. A shot of that may be helpful.

67390ED5-7375-4030-9522-A834E8C16037.jpeg.a2adbc61c14980f02af51c9739cbbfe8.jpeg

It looks a bit like concrete, but more like a conglomerate to me. That could just be the lighting though. I am not sure I have ever seen a conglomerate with stoned of that nature with bone in it though.

It has a more mineral rich appearance to it than I would expect to see in concrete. It has a rusty orange, iron laden look to it. The part that could be lighting is the green appearing pebbles. The color can be from copper, which I wouldn’t expect in concrete either. But I can’t tell from the pic if it is copper rich.

What Kim said is correct.
I do not think anyone would like to prepare and use a concrete with different sort of gravel, from the smallest to the largest. A concrete of a certain quality must have a gravel of a certain type excluding gravel size below or above a  limit.
The specimen in question looks to have gravel of different dimensions, which make me think it could be natural formed, like a conglomerate, or coarse-grained sedimentary rock (considering the greenish particles).
The lamellar/bladed structure in the cropped area of your picture guides me in the direction of Boxwork/Speleothem, which might be close to a bone structure.

Was the specimen found in a karst area?

b.thumb.jpg.2ddfa2fdc06dcede614465c457fb0cd2.jpgWindCave04.jpg.a7a14939bec0c670efce6afe6515fc92.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thats bone in conglomerate.  Not concrete.  Well, maybe mother nature concrete.  I use to hunt the Scotts Valley area many years ago and there is lots of material like this. Or used to be.   Lots more people, new housing, shopping areas and more nowadays. 

RB

Roberta NJ CA - posted on my profile
"Thank you abyssunder and kim, and to everyone who took the time to look at my poorly posted post... I decided to picky tool and brush the heck out of it since concrete is unfruitful.   I'll send my results when I do.   Again thanks to all and to Kane who pieced together my scattered picture posts!   I can send more pics tomorrow with higher resolution tomorrow... :) "

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

So glad to hear it for her sake!!! :D I was afraid we might have lost another enthusiastic paleontologist wanna be. I’m one of those.

She had PM’ed me last night after my post on her topic. I guessed she was disheartened, but she didn’t say it. So, I empathized with her and encouraged her based on what I had surmised from her initial post comment.

This is the essence of what I surmised:

She had collected fossils with her dad as a kid and was in awe at the coolness of them and her dad.

This rock holds a special place in her heart and is connected with fond memories of her Dad.

Then she is told it’s “just concrete”.  

That would be pretty devastating to some people. It might even induce an existential crisis of sorts. It would call to question whether their dad was really as smart and cool as they thought he was when they were a kid.

She admitted I was pretty spot on with what I had surmised. 

I’m pretty analytical and have spent many years of my life not giving any forethought to how others are feeling or how what I say may make them feel. I’ve been trying to turn over a new leaf and learn empathy and sensitivity and think about others feelings before I speak.

Giving an ID on something someone found last week or yesterday is one thing. Giving an ID on something so weighty in value to someone is something that should be done with sensitivity and care. 

Roberta says she has crates of these things. Imagine the treasures in those crates! That’s so cool! Wish I were there to discover it all. It sounds exciting to me. Especially if they all have bone.

@doushantuodo you have a reference for fossils from Scotts Valley, CA? That might help educate her as to what she might have in those crates.

Thanks Kim, and Abyssunder, and everyone 

nd to everyone who helped me out here - photos - no photos/ --- fossil - concrete..../  can't help but feel awkward sharing a a piece of concrete   After all the posts here I decided to proceed without caution and pick away - I hope to redeem myself from ignorance in both judging my own fossils as well as my postimg a and posting ability!   thanks, Ill send anotbyussnerher pic, after I pic and brush it some more! 

Kim, you are quite unique in your understanding and empathy towards others.   Thanks to you I have decided NOT to disappear from this forum, change my name and appearance, and move to another country out of concrete shame!  Feel free to post anything we discussed - I would love to have other amateurs like myself to not be discouraged - no matter what - and to remain humble.  I feel encouraged to take a deep breath and return to my crates with joy!

Great advice... I'm actually going through this site to get a better grasp on posting, posting pictures, and replies.  You are no ordinary rock , you are a true gem, and I, as many others here, I'm sure,  thank you!!  

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad my encouragement and empathy helped you to have the courage to get back in there.

I have posted things and then felt a bit of embarrassment at my ignorance. It happens much too often for my tender spirit and ego's sake, but it keeps me humble and empathetic.  I try to take a deep breath then stop to remind myself that this is a place for learning and while I may be well educated in other matters I am not all knowing and have much to learn. I also have to tell myself that lack of knowledge on such matters is nothing to be ashamed of. It isn't like I learned it in elementary school and forgot it. My friends tell me I am way too hard on myself. So, I have to give myself credit for staying present and seeking to learn.

There is no shame in posting an item in the raw. I have posted a few of those in an attempt to get an idea of what it is before I go trying to take off the matrix.  I have gone to remove matrix not knowing the anatomy of what is under it and inadvertently removed some of the item never to be recovered.

The problem with pictures is that it is often difficult to get a true grasp of the item. It leads to us making assumptions based on what we believe we see. 

I remember seeing a documentary once on the Loch Ness monster or maybe some other topic, but whatever the case they showed people this picture of a tree or branch sticking out of the foggy waters of Loch Ness for a very brief moment. Many people concluded it was the Loch Ness Monster. Of course when you can look at it for a longer time you can see that it is only a tree branch. Their point was that the human mind tends to piece together the info that it sees and based on previous experience, sometime including the power of suggestion and other info the mind comes up with a final idea of the image.  I think we all do that to some degree without even realizing it.

Some deity-like properties are attributed to me:P.

Scotts Valley regional geology literature in all probability will be dominated by engineering geology/hydrology.

Any PDF will be rife with porosimeter logs,and strength profiles of Pleistocene alluvium.

Hope for Roberta's sake someone proves me totally wrong.

Have dug up some USGS stuff on that part of California,but not properly looked at them yet

Archived