Found this cool fossil

49lone82

1 minute ago, FossilDAWG said:

Where was this found? Do you have any idea of the age and/or geological formation?

Don

SW Louisiana, dug it out my yard. No clue what it is

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks like coral. 

What's the scale please?:)

Uploaded a pic with it compared to a cigarette pack

Yeah I’m seeing coral as well.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Can we have a higher resolution image of this area?

c.jpg.bf49e42b450497174eaa690852594226.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I believe the oldest exposures in Louisiana are from the Eocene. The layered part looks like a broken section of an oyster. The shape of the radial fossils suggest a kind of rugose coral but they would be too old. I am not familiar with the local material.

This thing really has me stumped. The material looks here and there like porcelain. I'm wondering if this isn't some kind of a man-made throw off product.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

7 hours ago, andreas said:

I have a Rudists feeling seeing the flower shaped crosssections. The other ripped structure would fit too. But not sure at all.

That was the reason why I asked for a better resolution. They look close to Praebarrettia or similar rudists.

c.jpg.d53e12e085eaf91220a932fd09f3a351.jpg5a242dfea1c55_Ponsetal2013.thumb.jpg.2283f829d88671f405f3b68910e4e3de.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library